Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox X32 0-10v Analog Output only outputting 0-1V

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Leagarman, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

I've just built a RatRig Stronghold one 1250 x 1250 and and managed to get the "hello world" example done last night.

I have the AMB CNC Spindle - Digital 1400 FME-P DI 230V 1400Wconnected to the BlackBox X32 controller.

I could only get the spindle to start moving at full speed (output from software) whilst doing the test carve which led me to investigate the 0-10V output which was only outputting 1V with 100% setting from Openbuilds control which would equate to the router running at minimum speed.

When the router was running I had expected it to be more noisy (never having heard it running before), it turns out it was probably running at minimum speed.

Attached ate my Grbl settings. ( i realise the $31 minimum spindle speed is wrong, but that was just me trying things and forgot to return the 3500 correct value)

Hopefully someone can spot an error.

Many thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

#1 Leagarman, Feb 6, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

$30=25000.000 ; Maximum spindle speed, RPM
    $31=0.000 ; Minimum spindle speed, RPM

That's correct. Dont change the minimum, that will just throw off the scale.

You did reset /reconnect after changing $30, so that the menu updates to the new values too? Otherwise the menu may be scaling 0-S1000

Leagarman likes this.
  3. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

Thanks for your quick reply Peter.

Yes I have reset it and can see the different output selections in Openbuilds control software(and reset the X32)

When adjusting the fine tuning voltage adjustment i can get it up to 1.7V

I even tried $30 at 250000 as i thought it could be a scaling/ division error. I am seeing no difference.

Also, I tried $30 at the default 1000 with the same results. The PWM frequency setting have any beating on the 0-10V output?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you change the default?

The 24v PSU is connect and on right? (derives the 10v rail off the 24v supply)

Any earlier miswirings or shorts that may have damaged the output opamp (best to say if there was - saves us from chasing settings etc if there is known damage)

Leagarman likes this.
  5. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

Thanks again Peter for your reply.

I haven't altered the PWM frequency I don't think. I just read on other threads about the 0-10V being derived from the PWM and wondered if my default was wrong.

I had no issues with the wiring of the 0-10V although i did have problems with the inductive limit switch wiring, ( which are now working perfectly) could my earlier problems with the limit switches have damaged the 0-10V output?

6. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

sorry, also the 24V is on. I measured with both with the spindle on an off to see it that had any effect.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Contact the store via Support > New ticket for further assistance, thanks. Include link to this thread

Leagarman likes this.
  8. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

OK Peter have done so. Many thanks for your replies.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Always hard to review a Grbl Settings backup (if only people would leave defaults or tell us when they changed defaults lol), but ran yours against a backup of a stock LEAD1515 profile, and seems you did change a couple of the more unexpected / advanced defaults:

Yours is on the right:

upload_2024-2-6_16-3-8.png

Step pulse delays would just slow down the machine, leave it on 0
    Spindle Min/Max set it back to 0 and 100 (10 would be about 10% and 1v is about 10% of 10v)

Which might explain that nicely

Leagarman likes this.
  10. Leagarman

Leagarman New
    Builder

That's it working!

I think I did alter the $S36 but I must have made an error returning what I thought the previous setting was. Thank you so much for spotting this.

The other settings I am pretty sure I did not alter as I have no clue what they do, but have changed them back to what they should be (as your Grbl file).

When I initially set up my machine I used the workbee defaults (as I thought the ratrig stronghold was a workbee derivative) and had quite a few problems until i found out I should be using the LEAD 1515. Could some of these settings have carried over when I swapped?

Anyway, its working now and I must thank you for your time and effort in resolving this. You really are a legend. ( I was at the stage I thought I had damaged my controller and needed a new one)

Thanks again!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  11. Peter Van Der Walt

Leagarman likes this.