Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox X-motor not working

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Michael Forte, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Forte

Builder

Hi,

I just received my BlackBox and am replacing a working Smoothieboard on an OX CNC. I built the box with no issues and connected the X, Y/Y2, and Z motors. The Y/Y2 and Z motors are working just fine but I have a red LED ! under the X motor current adjust pot. The ! only shows up when something is plugged into the X-MOTOR connector. To verify that the wiring and X motor is OK, I swapped my X and Z motor wires to the BlackBox and the X motor worked fine while the Z did not.

All wiring has been triple checked. I have tried the X wiring in other motor slots and the motor works fine. I also tried the good Z motor in the X-motor slot and it ceased to work and the red light came on. This swap verified that both motors are working and the wire harness is wired correctly. Also, this machine has been running for the last 2 years and was used just the other day with a Smoothieboard so I know for a fact that my OX, its wiring, and motors are all good.

One thing I did notice when first powering up the BlackBox is that the motors emitted a humming sound. I then went and tried the full range of current on the Z, Y, and Y2 pots to eliminate the hum and get consistent motion. For each of them I had to turn the potentiometers all the way down to prevent the humming sound and prevent my Z-motor from getting very warm while just sitting idly.

So, with all the testing I did, the problem is definitely in the BlackBox but that's as far as I can troubleshoot. I opened the box to see if anything looked burned out and everything appears to be OK. My only question is that the very small pins on the X-motor chip appear to have some pins soldered together. I'm assuming this is supposed to be like that. I compared the X chip to the Z chip and see that on the X chip there are 2 pins that a barely touching due to a small drip of solder but they are not on the Z so this may be the problem but maybe it’s supposed to be like that?? See attached picture of X-motor chip.

Any suggestions or does it look like I need to return the BB for a new one?

Thanks,
    Mike DFA71A30-7D96-4F5B-9B60-46CD2DB9A269.jpeg

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Michael Forte

Builder

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There are some pins that are doubled up for increased current carrying (Outputs of the motors, and two near the current sense resistors)
    The Schematic is on the Files and Drawings tab of: BlackBox Motion Control System
    Attached a image of the pins (just FYI)
    chip.PNG

http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home was waiting on your picture, so no real need to continue on the forum. Please continue working with http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home (with the picture now confirming the splashes of solder you mention as as-engineered, that's not the issue). There are some steps of testing involved but of course once the basics are eliminated you'll be sent a replacement if one of them does not solve the problem.

Mark Carew and Michael Forte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.