Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Voltage output

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Lilo, May 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lilo

Lilo New
    Builder

Hello, I am trying to setup the voltage output feature of my black box and I am unable to get it to work. Maybe I am misunderstanding the typical setup but I would like to use the voltage output and the trigger to control an external device (independently powered) and to modulate its intensity with a 0-5 V signal. I confirm that the BB is setup with the trigger pin in the M3/M5 position but, when I send a GCODE command as in the instructions (e.g. M3 S1000) nothing happens. The potential between ground and 0-10V is set at 0.0025 V independently of the command. Any suggestions on what I am missing?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  2. Lilo

Lilo New
    Builder

OK. Figured out the issue with the DC voltage output was the 'Laser-mode Enabled' setting in GRBL. It needed to be 'disabled' to work as I wanted it. I am still confused as to how one would typically use the relay function of the BB. I can't measure any response on the relay channel when using M3 or M5 commands. I would love to use the relay to switch on/off the tool while the voltage controls the intensity.

3. Lilo

Lilo New
    Builder

OK. I resolved the issue and I guess I answered all my questions but will leave this here in case someone else has similar issues.
    The relay did not work when setup in the M3/M5 pin but it worked fine in the M8/M9 pin configuration. I don't know why but I am guessing it relates to settings I am not familiar with. In any case, it finally worked as I needed after I switched the pin to M8/M9 and after I set the 'Laser-Mode' to disabled. Now I can independently modulate the tool intensity with voltage and turn on/off with the relay.

4. Charles Pierce

Builder

I have a similar problem. None of my stepper motors are operating when I try to Jog in the control software. Do I need to hook up the power supply or should the run with just the USB power to make them reun???

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Of course one needs the 24v power to run the motors.
    But also remember to load a machine profile (CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Select a machine from the list > Save and Reset when prompted)

6. Charles Pierce

Builder

Thanks, the openbuilds video on youtube says all you need is the computer USB power to jog the motors. Maybe you all can correct that so it is not so confusion.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Could you share the exact video and timestamp, so we can make sure its corrected

8. Charles Pierce

Builder

The video I watched was this one. I am an old guy I missed a step or two. But, I do not see where the video says to power up the BalckBox from the power supply. Also the table I have is a Delusional Designs 4'x4'. Which table in the control software would you suggest I should set up?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, you DO need the PSU on.

Can you point to the faulty info you mentioned earlier then?

Or did you misunderstand and the video info is correct after all?
    If the video says you need to power up, then this does not need any correction after all? (apart from the logic that 5v 500mA USB could not run a complete machine of course)

10. Charles Pierce

Builder

OK, Thanks for the help

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Nearest similar one, or the CUSTOM option then scroll down and customize accordingly (read the Grbl Wiki at Github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki first)