Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox USB Power Disable

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by CurieOS, Jul 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. CurieOS

CurieOS New
    Builder

Is there a way to disable USB power from being supplied to the Blackbox? Having some issues with our emergency stop switch, it cuts 24V power and power to the spindle, but the Blackbox continues to get power from USB, and that causes issues with recovery. It remains connected to the computer, and doesn't get reset at any point. I have to go around to the back of the machine and unplug the USB cable to get it to actually reset properly, disconnecting in OpenBuilds Control doesn't work properly.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You can get usb data only cables, sorry don't have any links, but will post some if I find them.
    You could also cut the red and/or black wires in your usb cable.
    Alex.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hit ESC on keyboard or hit Abort button in software. No need to unplug USB cable

4. CurieOS

CurieOS New
    Builder

Escape doesn't seem to do anything, and abort adds extra steps to things. The machine is at a makerspace, and I'm trying to simplify the process as much as possible. Right now there are at least 6 steps to follow, but if the black box didn't get power over USB it would cut that in half.

I got a "PortaPow Power Blocker", and it does what I want, except now OpenBuilds Control refuses to connect. It recognizes the FTDI serial device (it shows up in the list), but all 3 firmware identification methods fail and it doesn't connect. I verified it works without the power blocker and it does, so it's not a wiring issue. The powerblocker is a simple circuit board with two USB ports (male on one side, female on the other) and a clear plastic enclosure. It bridges all the connections over to the other port except 5V. Why does cutting the 5V line cause all FW ID methods to fail? (It's the latest version of OBC on Ubuntu 20.04)

5. Peter Van Der Walt

If the MCU isn't getting 5v from the main power rails either - usually caused by either some accessory wired incorrectly shorting v+ to gnd, or an earlier wiring mishap damaged the on board 5V regulator. If either of those are the case, the typical front panel LEDs will be off, and only come on with USB5V

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Escape Aborts the job. Unless someone changed the key assignment to something else in Wizards and Tools > Customize Keyboard Shortcuts

7. CurieOS

CurieOS New
    Builder

That's weird, the LEDs come on, and we used to have an Interface plugged into it, and that worked. We stopped using the Interface because it got knocked off the machine too many times and broke, and the abort button doesn't seem to do anything except pause? We actually had a really bad crash because of that that bent all the leadscrews, hence why we installed the emergency power cut switch. The user hit "Go to XYZ Zero" instead of "Set XYZ Zero" and hitting abort did nothing.

Does this jumper have anything to do with this?

I tried escape a couple weeks ago and didn't notice it doing anything, but I think that's because the machine was idle. Tried it today while it was homing and that worked. I still don't like the MCU being powered while the 24V input is off. We have another GRBL board from Panucatt on another machine that doesn't power off USB, and I like that.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

No that is on the autoreset line. The three methods covers both states