Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox USB Connection error

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Quentin Karmark, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Quentin Karmark

Builder

Hi Peter, is there literally a recommended or minimum system (and hardware) requirements stated anywhere for OpenBuilds Control? I have a friend who is an IT tech: we had issues with the firmware not being detected recently (USB would not connect), even though the control system was working days before that issue (Windows 11 on MSI (AMD laptop). When we investigated the troubleshooting, one of the solutions was to update the FTDI drivers and my IT friend asked me to check Windows updates logs: there was a recent Service Stack that occurred, and he is convinced the drivers were affected. He is suggesting that the Windows updates should be disabled, so that the drivers would not be affected in the future, but I am curious about whether these elements are documented on Openbuilds, or whether users should avoid Windows 11 if they cause the Controller to be affected by updates that are perhaps not recommended etc?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Test your driver theory first, reinstall the FTDI drivers: docs:blackbox:install-drivers [OpenBuilds Documentation] and make sure you turned off USB Selective Suspend docs:blackbox:install-windows-selective-suspend [OpenBuilds Documentation] ( I doubt its related)
    If that doesn't help, see docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Leave updates on - bug fixes and security fixes are good for you.

3. Quentin Karmark

Builder

Hi Peter... my IT friend let me borrow a HP windows 10 laptop to test his theory: when I attached the USB, and attempted to connect OpenBuilds, I still got the same firmware not detected error: so I went to device manager, downloaded the FTDI drivers specified, and when I tried updating them, the Windows 10 machine said it already had recommended drivers, so I don't know what is going on there. (I did not attempt the USB Selective Suspend method however.)

As another test, I brought my iMac from home to try (OS X 10.15). Openbuilds reported the same firmware error upon trying to connect, but this time when I went to the FTDI page and got the OS X drivers installed, it worked perfectly.

I have yet to attempt getting the drivers installed on the Windows 11 laptop, however, but will attempt that tonite and report to this thread.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Post screenshots of connection attempts that fail (like the WIN10 one) so we can see if we see anything :)
    Screenshot the full CONTROL window (we look for clues above and below the log too) on the Serial Terminal tab with the log showing the failed attempt

5. Quentin Karmark

Builder

thanks, I will try today with the Windows 11 laptop (I already returned the Windows 10 HP ).

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Quentin Karmark

Builder

so I managed to get hold of a used Macbook Air, set it up with our Openbuilds, updated the drivers as instructed, and everything is working as expected, we gave up on trying to get the Windows laptop to work.
    Sorry, but I did not attempt to keep going with the Windows 11 laptop setup.