Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Unknown USB Device

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Kristopher Grove, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Kristopher Grove

Builder

I am a new owner of the OpenBuilds Minimill with a Blackbox... I cannot get this device detected by any computer in my house. I have several 3D printers that I have had no issue in connecting with Arduino or Smoothieware controllers, but connecting to this Blackbox has me stumped.

I've tried the following computers:
    - MBP running Catalina w/ FTDI drivers installed
    - MBP running Mojave w/ FTDI drivers installed
    - Windows 10 Pro VM running on the MBP w/ FTDI drivers installed
    - Windows 10 Pro w/ FTDI drivers installed

I've switched to the Windows 10 machine begrudgingly because the forum posts seemed to indicate that "if using a Mac, you are on your own." This seems odd considering the time was taken to create a Mac version but I digress.

My Windows 10 Pro machine shows the device as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" - with the status of "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." Any suggestions or recommendations?

Perhaps I am missing it in this forum or elsewhere, but is there a document, checklist, or anything written that describes installation and configuration of the Control software and connection to the Blackbox controller?

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Kristopher, please check the Docs section 4 drivers and software.
    On your win10 machine Check under device manager for the usb device, and make sure you are pointing your control software to the correct port, and try a different USB cable as well.
    Cheers
    Gary

Kristopher Grove likes this.
  3. Kristopher Grove

Builder

That document was perfect! Reinstalled OpenBuilds CONTROL after noticing it was mentioned after the FTDI drivers, rebooted and a COM device was available in CONTROL. Now on to my next several issues. Thanks Gary - one step closer to getting this thing spinning!

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We love Mac's :) Well, some of the team does (; hehe

But no for "our software" we do our best to support it! (3rd party application like Vectric is more of the issue as they only provide Windows versions) , you might have been missing the proper Mac FTDI drivers (Available from that same page on docs.openbuilds.com) - Mac comes with built in CDC drivers that looks like it enumerated the FTDI device, but many times it does not play perfectly well with it.

The other thing to look out of is that you don't have any wiring mistakes as incorrectly wired peripherals like limit switches, can prevent the board from running (for example by mistakenly using 3 wires on 2 wire switches and then shorting 5v to GND) (so when debugging USB issues, best to unplug everything but the USB cable to eliminate wiring issues as part of the cause)

Holley and Gary Caruso like this.
  5. Kristopher Grove

Builder

Thanks Peter! I have never had any luck with the builtin drivers, so I manually installed the FTDI drivers for all machines, but now that my Windows machine is able to connect, I will definitely revisit the Mac side of things. And thanks for the tip on the wired peripherals... I was hoping it would solve my next/current problem (no motors spinning) to no avail.

I'm super excited to start making some noise with this build!

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you remember to load a machine profile from CONTROL? (we set the important values for you) if not, at least make sure you set $4=1 (Stepper Enable Invert = bool TRUE)

7. Kristopher Grove

Builder

I did - it is currently set with the Minimill defaults and $4=1

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Did you remember to reset after applying the change (as guided by CONTROL) - some settings take effect after a restart of Grbl

9. Kristopher Grove

Builder

Peter, yes... I selected the MiniMill defaults and reset - a couple times actually. I'll create a separate post for the issue. Thank you!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.