Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Toolhead Connector DIR Pin

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Paul Stoller, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Is there a way to control the DIR pin on the tool head connector in grbl?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

In Grbl, M3 = Clockwise, M4 = Anticlockwise
    One sets the pin Low (0v), the other sets the pin High (5v)

Paul Stoller likes this.
  3. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Peter, I had thought that might be the case, but I didn't think I was seeing the voltage on the pin change. I'm going to go back and retest.

4. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

After reading the VFD manual over and over again, plus the time playing with the different input pins, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to control spindle speed, on/off and direction that I'll need to throw a couple of relays in the mix.

Basically two relays are needed to route the DCM PIN to the FOR, or REV PINS depending if the DIR pin from the blackbox is low or high.

If I have everything straight if the DIR pin from black box is low the relay's should be configure to rout the DCM pin to the FOR PIN, and if the DIR PIN is high then the relays should route the DCM to the REV PIN.

I'm going to pick up a couple of relays and give this setup a shot.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, as VFDs doesnt just look for high/low you'd need to use Relays :)

Paul Stoller likes this.
  6. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I had seen a setting for switching from FOR to REV in the VFD settings, but in that case it's looking for a run command on one of the pins and then it just toggles between forward and reverse on the second pin. Not really ideal for controlling from grbl. I don't know if I'll ever need reverse or not but I wasn't able to get my spindle to respond to M5 when FOR was straight jumpered to DCM. It would just keep running, I reviewed all of the settings I could think of in the manual and couldn't find anything that was obvious that I could change to get the spindle to stop fully. So the only other way I could think of to get it to respond as I wanted was to add a relay for DCM that was run by DIR pin (reconfigured as an enable pin), and if I was going to add one relay it isn't that hard to add a second and gain the spindle direction as well.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

See XPro v4 won't control VFD & Spindle - VFD setting PD010 to only respond above a certain voltage value (so M3 S0 will also turn it off, and M5)

Paul Stoller likes this.
  8. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I'm not sure what value to use for PD010, the default was 8.0

9. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I've tried values as low as 4 and as high as 10.5 but no change in behavior. I'm not certain this is making any difference. I may go the relay route.

10. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Also as an aside, I had to replace the USB cable that came with my black box as I was getting USB disconnects every time the VFD would turn on. I swap the USB cable out with some I had on hand and the disconnects quit happening.

11. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I've gone back and tried values for PD010 as high as 50 and still no luck. I'm looking at going the relay route but thinking through that more what signal would I use to drive the relay. Since the DIR pin is low when FOR and High for REV and the 0-10V output will be too low a voltage to drive the relay at low RPMS, would I need to re-define the DIR to to be an enable PIN and then lose the ability to run in REV? Or is there another on/off signal that can be used to run the relay? (also I'm using external relays just to be clear).

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Reach out to the person who posted the information, in the thread linked above :)

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, no need to hack it all that much, if you work with the other person in that thread and get it to work with just the 0-10v signal for on/off then DIR can just set a SPDT relay (single pole double throw, with COMMON to ACM, and each of the terminals to FOR and REV. On signal pin swops the relay from one state to the other to change direction)

14. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Good thoughts, thanks Peter, I will reach out to them.

15. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I've reached out to Jacob from the other thread but have not heard back. Re-read the thread you linked and modified PD073 to be 0 instead of 120 based on that, and now the spindle doesn't come on as soon as I turn on the VFD. But after I start it with the M3 or M4 command I can't shut it back off.

So getting closer, but not quite there yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get some clarify after speaking with Jacob.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

That why I have a deep personal hate for VFD spindles (; The configuration complications, extra wiring/tubing (if you watercool) etc and minor undocumented differences between vendors, so far outweight the only two good advantages (brushless, and lower runout) by such a margin, its not even worth it. Would gladly add writeup to docs, but seems just about everyone gives up when its "just about running well now" and then dont remember which settings they changed to document it (;

17. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I get it :) but as frustrating as it is on one hand I do feel like I’m learning things going through the process. I don’t plan to give up before I get it fully functional.

I do plan on writing up all of my details once I get it sorted and am confident it’s all proper. That way we could at least have the HY01D511B and KL-800A spindle sorted and I know that VFD and spindle (or KL-1500(A)) are pretty common combos in NA. Doesn’t cover the myriad of other options but it would be helpful I think.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  18. Ed Zacly

Ed Zacly New
    Builder

Greetings Paul,

I would appreciate your input with respect to KL-800A Spindle and VFD unit that you purchased ...I would like to up grade from a 300 watt /1200 RPM spindle to the KL-800A Spindle,

I built an OX Metal CNC W/ xPRO V3 Controller Stepper Driver board GRBL 1.1.... I am thinking of installing the same KL-800A Spindle but with a different VFD ... I have three questions

1. Where did you get your spindle and VFD?
    2. Do you know what the actual weight of the spindle is? Automation Technologies says 6 lbs but CNC 4 PC in the FAQ lists it as 10 Lbs..
    3. Did you get your spindle up and running to your satisfaction?

800W 1HP AIR Cooled CNC Milling Spindle, KL-800A
    https://www.automationtechnologiesi.../800w-air-cooled-cnc-milling-spindle-kl-800a/

1.5KW VFD Spindle Inverter (KL-VFD15), 110VAC input

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale
    1.5KW VFD Spindle Inverter

Regards & thank you,

Ed Zac

19. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

I got my spindle and VFD from Automation Technologies, I assume the weight listed by Automation Technologies is correct, I've never weighed it myself.

I've not gotten to use my machine much as I'm in an apartment and I've yet to get my enclosure finished. That being said the spindle works great, I've got no complaints about it. I've cut MDF, and acrylic thus far and it's worked great.