Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox Red Indicator doesn't stop current job

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Rithik231, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Rithik231

Rithik231 New
    Builder

I've run 50+ jobs on my LeadMachine 1010 without fault. Today, the red indicator light on the Y2 stepper driver lit up and stopped the motor during a job. The job kept going however, and my machine was thrown completely out of square. So far, it seems like mechanically the machine is still ok, but I really would like to avoid that in the future.

I do know that red indicator light means one of 4 things:

- overtemp (adjust current down, check fan)
    - overcurrent (adjust current down)
    - undervoltage (check psu)
    - short circuit (check wiring)

I checked the wiring and psu - it was all good. I doubt it was temp since it's operating in a 25F garage, but I turned current down 1/4 turn anyways and cleared the fan. Is it possible to find out which of the 4 errors it was?

Does anyone have recommendations for how many clockwise or counter clockwise turns the potentiometers should be set for the LeadMachine 1010? I am using the high torque motors.

What worried me the most is that the machine didn't stop the job. The remaining 3 motors kept going. Is it possible to have a failsafe set so the motors all stop when one motor driver failsafes?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Unfortunately not, the chip itself goes into error state, and has no reporting. Usually temperature related though, ambient temp helps, but depending on the load, motor types, current setting, etc can still overheat

Not at this time, always stay with your machine to keep an eye

Right in the middle, is the factory default and spot on for most of our machines. Note it is a single turn from left to right. You mention Turns (multiple) so just mentioning so you dont break a potentiometer trying to go around again.

3. Rithik231

Rithik231 New
    Builder

Thank You! I will set all the pots to their recommend settings and watch the machine very carefully for the next few jobs. I wonder if I can wire the LEDs to a logic switch - to an arduino - which can output an estop command to the blackbox. Another project for me to work on :)