Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Question

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by David Fong, May 12, 2021.

1. David Fong

Builder

Hello,

I have a Blackbox controlling my CNC. The toolhead 4 port is currently using port 1 and 4 to control the speed of my HY spindle.
    I want to add an IOT or use the relay function to open up my blast gate that has a motor on it. Will I be able to do this through the BlackBox and keep my spindle speed control and use the relay/IOT to control the blast gate at the same time?

I saw a couple of video and I wasn't sure. If I can use it, I am going to guess I use port 1&4 for the spindle control and use 1&2 for the IOT? Or do I use the relay port some how?

Thank You.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. David Fong

Builder

Thank you for the reply, that is awesome information. I see the documentation now. I am surprised I couldn't find it on my own. I did try though.
    Can you tell me what the "Relay" port is for and how it is used, as well?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Checkout the Links at the top of the page :) - the Videos one is good to know about too

upload_2021-5-13_22-4-22.png

Usually used as a Plasma Trigger: docs:blackbox:connect-plasma [OpenBuilds Documentation] but can be creatively repurposed for other uses. In your case though, the Coolant power was just a lot easier, already powered and more compatible with the IoT relay. The "relay" port is a dry contact relay, no power. Its just a switch, so to use it, with the IoT relay, needs power wired up etc. Not worth the effort, with the Coolant port nearby

5. David Fong

Builder

Thank you for the information.