Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox not moving steppers

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by GeneLV, Dec 14, 2020.

1. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

I've had my Workbee running for over a year without issue using the OpenBuilds Blackbox. I've been upgrading it to the quenbe and got everything hooked up and working except for the X limit because I was waiting for a friend to print me a mount for it. Got the X limit hooked up today and went to run a homing cycle and nothing. Got an error about moving to far without hitting the limit switch but nothing moved. Tried to jog the machine in the X, Y and Z and nothing. The console (OpenBuilds control) is showing the movement commands. I haven't changed any of my connections and I am using the OpenBuilds connectors on the limits so I know they are good. Tried power cycling, flashing the Blackbox, reseating connections. I've been wanting to upgrade to the AXBB and UCCNC but I really wanted to wait until after Christmas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

BlackBox needs two things to move motors:
    1) 24v input power
    2) $4=1 (Enabled) in Grbl settings (our profiles sets it for you, but I assume you went 100% custom)

First check the Grbl settings, make sure $4=1

If it is, then check input power, make sure plug is seated all the way, etc

3. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Will do. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Checked and $4=1 and power is seated.

Since it was working last night and nothing has changed except for plugging in the X limit, I unplugged the X limit and turned it back on. Still nothing.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

6. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Fan is spinning. Left it off while I was doing other stuff. Turned it back on without the X limit in and it is working again. Obviously something is up with the limit. It is the Xtension Limit Switch, any idea what could be causing an issue with it?

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Wiring checked closely? Check for solder blobs on the Xtension switch

8. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Plugged the X limit back in, turned on power and now X and Z are moving but Y is not. Checked wiring before and it looked good. Did not check solder on switch, I will. As far as the fan running, I assumed you meant on the Blackbox. I looked at the power supply and the fan is not spinning. Which did you mean?

9. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

He means the Blackbox. The power supply fan will only turn on when it reaches a certain temp.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

I meant blackbox as a test to see if it has 24v

11. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Checked the solder points on the limit and they look good. Also rechecked all of the wiring and it looked good. After a few rounds of turning the Blackbox on and off and disconnecting and reconnecting the x limit it somehow decided to work.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Well that probably explains your issues... without fan, drivers overheat and shutdown. With it back, now it works.

Its been running fine for over a year, so we know the BlackBox is fine and as reliable as always
    It only started having issues once you started making changes, so its important to always backtrace all the changes. As the changes you applied, is is all that happened, it must be the cause.

Only change one parameter at a time when troubleshooting - as the last thing that changed before it stopped working is usually to blame. Once you then start doing many things at once to troubleshoot - it gets out of hand and hard to figure out. Case in point here, going by what you mention was changed, fan being disconnected came up much later. It wouldn't have a fan if it didn't need one right :)
    Also important to note down the steps you took, just helps us zoom in on the mistakes faster.

Can we assume somewhere in all this you reconnected the fan, gave the heatsink some time to cool off, and then reset power (FAULT condition persists until power cycled to protect the drivers, as explained here: docs:blackbox:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation] ) - as that would explain why its sorted now, and thus restore your confidence

#12 Peter Van Der Walt, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  13. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

Can't assume any of that because I did not disconnect the fan. I turned off the entire system, not the fan, while I was doing other stuff (making my wife a bday cake). Typically I try not to use "it" because of the confusion it causes and this was obviously a bad time to use "it" instead of saying I turned the system off. Until I started having issues I never touched the Blackbox or power supply during the upgrade and the only thing I have touched since having this problem was to ensure connections are good. Zero touching of the fan. :)

As far as the electronics during the quenbe upgrade, the only thing I did was remove the steppers and limit switches from the machine. All of the connectors on the steppers and limits are seated as well as the connectors on the Blackbox. The power supply, Blackbox and VFD were not touched during the upgrade. Once I got the QB install done I hooked up all of the steppers and the Y and Z limits, not the X because I needed a mount. Everything worked in this configuration during testing between Friday and yesterday.

I got the X limit mount yesterday and hooked up the X limit. After I turned the machine on I manually triggered each limit to ensure it was picking up in the control software, which they were. I then attempted to home my machine and nothing moved. An error flashed on the screen for a split second but not long enough to read (might want to fix that in the software). I ended up getting a screenshot of the error so I could read it and it basically said that it moved and couldn't find the limit (assume it meant the Z).

After being able to read the error I tried to move X, Y and Z, nothing moved. Removed the X limit switch and nothing moved. Power cycled the Blackbox and nothing moved. I think at this point I flashed the Blackbox and got movement back. Checked connections on the Blackbox and reconnected the X limit. When I turned everything back on with the x limit connected the X and Z moved, Y would not. I turned off the machine, disconnected the X limit and X, Y and Z worked sometimes. I tried this several times and one time nothing moved with X limit disconnected. The final time reconnecting the X limit and X, Y and Z worked.

I turned everything off and called it a day. Hopefully everything works when I get home today. If not, I guess I'll get myself an axbb-e, power supplies, stepper drivers and other odds and ends for Christmas.

Got up @ 2am this morning and I am already dead tired so hopefully you are able to follow along with that.

#13 GeneLV, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  14. GeneLV

GeneLV New
    Builder

So I got home and turned on my cnc. Everything worked except for one stepper on the Y. Was walking around the cnc and put my hand on it and got a static discharge. Apparently I forgot to hook up the ground after the upgrade. Yeah I feel dumb. Everything is working now.

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.