Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Help

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Chris Neeley, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Chris Neeley

Builder

I have a Carve king that i am enlarging the footprint and upgrading the stepper motors from Nema 17 to 23. I bought the unit from FB marketplace and from day one have had control issues I've replaced the Uno twice and the machine works good for a week or so then it starts carving in random spots. I bought the Blackbox and i am wondering if i can use it in place of the Arduino and Shield while I am building my other machine. I would then switch it to the new build afterwards. Is there much required or is it possible to go from the Nema17 to 23 later on. Each time I have had trouble the moderators from Millwright they weren't much help and just to keep replacing the Arduinos this helps for a few weeks. I am really frustrated with Millwright and I will only be using a few parts from it to build my other. I will also be buying the interface too.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes the Uno style drivers are way underpowered = cause of the skipping. Stick a BlackBox on it and all will be better.

Moving between NEMA17 and NEMA23s just adjust the current. All the way down for NEMA17s, about halfway up for NEMA23s. See docs:blackbox:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Factory default is set for NEMA23s.

3. Chris Neeley

Builder

Thanks for the reply I will definitely try it.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.