Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox - ERROR!: No supported firmware detected

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by ahojekk, Nov 12, 2022.

1. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

Hey, I'm having an issue with my Blackbox controller. I use my machine very occasionaly and in hobby use.

Went to the workshop today, started the machine - no problems at all, HOME procedure went well as usual, I did set the work position of X axis and started to set the Y axis, when the USB connection disconnected, I tried to reconnect but got the error message:

[12:32:52] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM3 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[12:32:52] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM3

[12:32:52] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[12:32:52] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)

[12:32:53] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)

[12:32:56] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM3

[12:32:56] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

Tried to reconnect once again but no luck:

[12:33:01] [ usb ports ] Detected a change in available ports: [ No devices connected ]

[12:33:09] [ usb ports ] Detected a change in available ports: [COM3]

[12:33:12] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM3 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[12:33:12] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM3

[12:33:12] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[12:33:13] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)

[12:33:13] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)

[12:33:16] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port COM3

[12:33:16] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

As I saw the issue with firmware, where I was sure the USB port is fine, I proceeded to the Wizard option to flash the firmware. but again no luck...

[12:34:20] [ Firmware Upgrade ] connected

[12:34:21] [ Firmware Upgrade ] reset complete.

[12:34:21] [ Firmware Upgrade ] flashing, please wait...

[12:34:22] [ Firmware Upgrade ] FLASH FAILED!

Is there anything I can do, or did it die....

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

Yeah... tried that but no luck. Having it now on another PC with everything disconnected and same issue

4. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

The LED light is going green, and the USB LEDs on the side just "blink" for a second when connecting the board

[​IMG]

5. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

Closer look at the board got me looking at this microchip, that look strange:

[​IMG]

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, bubbled up epoxy shows signs of a serious short /over voltage condition. See the last paragraph of the linked page above

7. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

Small update on my case - I've managed to flash it! afterde-soldering the damaged microchip, and replacing it with a new one - I'll keep you posted if everything works fine tomorrow - but so far so good! the control board looks to be revived at least on this end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

well done!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

Looks like we're alive! :D Now off to re-calibrate the machine and do some milling!

10. ahojekk

ahojekk New
    Builder

For anyone who might encounter a similar issue, or find this post in the future via google or is simply interested what did I do in the end:

1. Identify the issue - of course the first step as you can see in my first steps in this topic, was to find the issue - in this particular case is was the problem with the microprocessor - which basically blew up after a shortage of some kind - can't be exactly sure what caused this. Most likely the Y Limit switch, but can't be sure 100%
    2. Check your options - I was out of warranty period, so I knew I'll try to repair - but if you're within the warranty it's probably easier and cheaper to contact the seller.
    3. Repair! So what did I do was going the repair route - Identified the chip which I have to buy - Atmega ATMEGA328P-AU - found it locally for about 5 EUR. What I also did was contacting the Openbuilds support for some assistance, after a few emails exchanged, I started the process, first by desoldering the old chip:
      [​IMG]
      Be careful on this step - I didnt't have the equipement for soldering SMD elements, and I asked a friend for help in exchange for some good beers ;) but this can be definetly done in any laptop/electronics repair shops for a small fee, if you don't have the equipement.
    4. We also checked for any other elements that could have signs of failure, but we didn't find any. Openbuilds team suggested to check XL1509-5 regulators from the Muscle board, but those were fine, luckily!
    5. Bootloader! After replacing the microchip - it would fail to flash the firmaware - as brand new chips are totally clean on their memory. I went with Arduino UNO method - to use it as an ISP... and I failed. Followed the steps that can be found in Arduinos documentation (https://docs.arduino.cc/built-in-examples/arduino-isp/ArduinoISP) and tbh I couldnt make it work. But after few more tries I made it work - so I'm sharing here how it became possible.

- Open Arduino IDE, and connect the Arduino UNO that will act as the programmer
      - Open File -> Examples -> Arduino ISP -> ArduinoISP
      - Upload this example to your UNO
      - After a sucessful upload disconnect the USB cable
      - Identify the ICSP ground pin on the blackbox - via multimeters continuity - I could tell you which one I used as GND, but I'm not sure if all iterations of the Blackbox are having the same layout - so this way you'll be sure, and safe
      [​IMG]
      - Connect the respective pins from Arduino Uno's ICSP headers to the Blackbox ICSP header pins - and the Reset pin - from Blackbox should be connected to Arduino Unos - "10" pin.
      - Arduinos documentation states to connect a 10µF electrolytic capacitor connected to RESET and GND (Power section) - but it didn't work for me with the capacitor connected, but worked when it was disconnected.
      - After you're 100% sure your connection is correct, connect the USB port to Arduino UNO
      - Burn the bootloader from Arduino IDE - Select Arduino as ISP, select Arduino Uno and proceed with "Burn bootloader" from the Tools menu
      - The process took probably less than 10secs - IDE's dialog log will report success or failure
      - You can disconnect all cables, and be ready for the firmware
    6. Flash firmware - after sucessfuly burning the bootloader - it'll be possible to flash the firmare via Openbuilds Controls. Connect the Blackbox to the computer via USB-B port, and open Openbuilds controls. You may notice some erros in connection in the dialog box - but that is expected as the software won't be able to recognize the controler yet! Proceed to the Wizard & Tools menu and select Flashing tool, select the appropriate options for the controller and select the appropriate port in the menu, and click the magic Flash button, if everything is correct the flash will happen!
    7. Connect everything on the machine - After a sucesful flashing operation the controler should be operational. Make sure there are no issues with the connectors or cables that might have caused the issue we definetly don't want to cause the same problem again, after all this work! After connecting everything remember to select the machine in the glbr settings and upload those settings to the machine ;) Test if all limit switches are providing you with the alert (if you have them installed), and test if the machine is moving correctly I started with small increments, and then proceeded to Home operation ;).

So in the end as I was out of warranty period, how much did this repair cost:
    - Atmega microchip - 7 EUR with shipping costs
    - Arduino UNO (as I didn't have one lying around) - bought a used one locally 10 EUR
    - Few beers for friends soldering services :D 10 EUR

Total: 27 EUR

Can't even say how reliefed and happy I am that it all went well and that it came back to life :) Big shoutout to Openbuilds support team for helping and giving some really good guidance with my questions (opposite to Openbuilds reseller in Poland, where I bought it - who basically ignored my email). Time to have a well deserved beer! :thumbsup:

11. Peter Van Der Walt

For future advice, those little $9 "USBTinyISP" programmers on amazon can be found in just about every drawer in my lab :) they work great! ArduinoISP is always a little flaky :)

Always welcome! It was an absolute pleasure helping you through this, your patience, willingness and just plain determination is inspiring and seeing your success just really leaves us proud of your efforts too! Really - well done!

David the swarfer and ahojekk like this.
  12. BogdanKos

BogdanKos New
    Builder

I've got the same issue with my black box, but I send it to poland reseller. I'm waiting for the answer.

PS. First I wrote email and they didn't answer on it, after that I called there... They properly don't read emails :(

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Work through docs:blackbox-4x:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] first, your retailer and other support players are mostly unable to assist, as most likely causes are user caused (checkout the FAQ page)
    They are factory tested while flashing firmware - USB was working for sure.

Also keep in mind most places are closed for Christmas, and they will likely answer your emails around next week or when they reopen. Enjoy your break, and a Merry Christmas too

David the swarfer likes this.
  14. Vicente Toledo

Builder

Hello.
    I have the same issue with my Blackbox controller, but i dont think that i can repair :(

15. BogdanKos

BogdanKos New
    Builder

I'm still waiting for my black box. No contact with polish reseller. Disaster.

16. Vicente Toledo

Builder

Hello, I do not see any damage in the microchip of my board. '' Bootloader'' can I try to do the reflash from the IDE of arduino one, how i can do from USBTinyISP programmers?

thank you

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Can you please explain what happened?
    Did you follow the FAQ page (link provided in error message)

18. Vicente Toledo

Builder

Yes i did it all. it's the same issue the ahojekk exception in my board the microchip i dont see any damage. I think that can try to flash with the Arduino metod as an ISP.

19. Peter Van Der Walt

Firmware doesn't just disappear - something happened to the electronics to prevent it from booting - usually electrical damage if nothing from the FAQ worked

Not all shorts will blow devices up physically (only things like shorting a 24v rail to a 5V input, etc. But shorting 5V to GND as warned in the docs, would cause damage but not visible damage)

20. Vicente Toledo

Builder

I understand, so what do you suggest to try to solve the problem, change the microchip and then flash like as ahojell did it?

21. Peter Van Der Walt

If you have the skills to do so...

Our official recommendation would be to order a new BlackBox after checking all your wiring/accesories - to prevent the same mistake from damaging the new BlackBox too