Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox e-stop/abort

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by jamin35008, Mar 20, 2019.

1. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

I have just ordered a lead 1010 and blackbox controller. Being very new to this I was deciding between a Xcarve and Lead with the support of Facebook groups and they unanimously directed me towards the lead. I'm super excited to get it and begin however a topic that I'm having difficulty getting a definitive answer about it the addition of an e-stop/abort switch.

I have heard several different things about the addition of one but dont know if its necessary or possible with the blackbox controller. I've read the the X-controller for the xcarve has both an abort and e-stop. Is this possible to add to the blackbox?

Thanks in advance from a new guy.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

E-Stops belong inline with your power strip.

The "emergency" can be the router is on fire. Or runaway motion. Or a hand stuck in the machine. Software/Controller e-stops doesnt suffice. Add a e-stop switch on the incoming power (before power strip) so that when you activate it in an emergency EVERYTHING stops. Doing it this way has saved people their homes!

For non emergency stops, we have both a STOP (graciously) and ABORT (immediate motion stop) in OpenBuilds CONTROL but those are software controlled.

Ted Moyer likes this.
  3. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for that clarification.

1.So if STOP is hit in the software is it possible for the router to continue to operate for a short time if it still has processes that were computed prior to the stop being hit?...hence the graciously stop? Would this be used if I had to adjust something like a clamp?

2. If the ABORT is hit will this stop everything including the spindle? Does the spindle need to be connected to an IOT in order for this to happen?

3. With the e-stop enabled (as long as its not life threatening) is moving the machines x/y/z axis' by hand not recommended due to creating current and possibly damaging the motors and circuits by creating damaging currents?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1. For adjusting clamps, hit PAUSE
    2. Yes, if we dont have the spindle under control, we cannot stop it. Has to be wired to the controller's spindle signal (IOT relay is easiest)
    3. Correct, never move an axis by hand, the stepper motors become generators! :)

jamin35008 likes this.
  5. jamin35008

jamin35008 Well-Known
    Builder

Awesome! Thanks Peter so much for the explanation!