Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Controller

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald4418, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Just trying to make sure I was correct in ordering the Blackbox, IoT Switch and 24 Volt Power Supply.

I'm coming from the Mach3 and UCCNC segment of the hobby and am trying to decide if this will actually work for me.

I have a finished C-Beam XL along with the following parts that I can't figure out how to hook up and can't see any mention of in the documentation.

400w ER16 High Speed CNC Spindle motor kit 400w Air Cooled Spindle motor PCB Spindle which includes a 36V Power supply and Rheostatic Switch to adjust Spindle Speed.

ME-8108 Momentary Limit Switch Roller Lever CNC Mill Laser Plasma Waterproof for my limit switches which are 2 Wire NC Switches.

I originally figured that I could use my 48V Power Supply for the Steppers, but could find No Mention of the Limit that the Blackbox could withstand.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

start [OpenBuilds Documentation] will answer all the questions you might have but

Does it have a PWM input? if not, use the IoT relay as you'd do for a Dewalt to turn power to its PSU on/off docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Switch wiring is covered in the docs, but we highly recommend docs:blackbox:connect-xtension-limit [OpenBuilds Documentation]

24v only

3. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

The limit switches are 2 wire not three wire. That is the confusion as they are Industrial NC Switches. It does have a Rheostat and I am imagining that instead of wiring it to the rheostat I'll have to wire it to the Tool Head.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Which is covered in the docs: See docs:blackbox:connect-micro-limit [OpenBuilds Documentation]

No the Potentiometer controls the onboard PWM generator. Post pictures of your spindle controller, or check its documentation, labelling, etc. Some have a PWM input and a jumper to set the mode
    For example
    upload_2020-11-11_19-14-38.png

Those "DC Spindles" (just a plain DC motor with a collet adapter on them) are terribly underpowered though, so consider upgrading to a Router11 CNC Kit - less fuss, as simple as plugging it into an IoT relay: See docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

5. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I have considered moving to a standard router, though the noise they make was my main concern as my machine is within the confines of the basement. Directly below the living room. That and it works perfectly and cuts extremely well in Hard and Softwood.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.