Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox AUX1 Port Purpose/Usage

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Matthew Cragg, Jun 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Matthew Cragg

Builder

Forgive me for asking the dumbest question ever…but...is the BlackBox AUX1 port meant to send data out of the BlackBox or receive data into the BlackBox? ...or both?

If data can be sent from the AUX1 port what is/can be sent? Could I send totally customized G-Code commands out the AUX1 port to…say…maybe a connected Arduino (for various purposes I have in mind)?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm building a custom device to which I want to send instructions as the BlackBox controls X/Y movements. This device I'm building is not the normal laser, cutter, etc., etc. It's a unique thing I'm working on with the need to receive custom control messages.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its for talking to Grbl (via TTL5v serial, instead of USB) - nothing that Grbl doesnt already support (so no extras)

Refer to:

gnea/grbl details of serial protocol

And

OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation for the rest

Or if you really want, write custom firmware for the BlackBox (accelstepper library etc) - might be easier than talking to Grbl for unless you prefer Gcode.

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Matthew Cragg

Builder

Thank you so much Peter!!!

I'm tired of messing with Arduino/CNC Shield hassles and want to give a dedicated controller a try. I just need to make sure it can do what I want.

I'll look into the information you gave me.

Matthew