Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox and workbee

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DannyDog, Nov 25, 2019.

1. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Right guys I'm pulling my hair out now and I k now it will be something silly.

I built, connected and started the blackbox up and can get it to jog though I've not calibrated the stoppers yet. However when I try to home I keep getting the same error code. I cant get the settings to change and to be honest it doesn't even try to back off the limit switch. Now my limit switches do trigger appropriate alarms when depressed and I'm sure it doesn't make any difference but they are 2 wire ones.

Here's my current grbl settings.

20191125_091522.jpg 20191125_091533.jpg 20191125_091522.jpg 20191125_091533.jpg 20191125_091522.jpg 20191125_091533.jpg 20191125_091540.jpg

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) Check the Troubleshooting tab, press and release each switch in turn and make doubly sure that the X-Limit in troubleshooting, reacts to the actual X switch (in case you have for example the Y switch plugged/wired to the X plug on the controller - happens quite often, and explains why it doesnt look like its pulling back)
    2) Check that Homing Pull-off is set to at least 10mm: gnea/grbl

Grbl Settings tab -> Change settings -> Click big save button at the top. Note it saves it to the controller, if you later come and use the dropdown to set a machine type it will change the values back to the profile default

3. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Ah thank you. I only had it set to 5mm retract.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

the actual movement of a micro lever switch can be 6-8mm because of the long lever it comes with :)

sharmstr and DannyDog like this.
  5. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Still at a loss here. Tried everything now apart from using the blackbox as a window brick.

Changed the back off up to 20mm and still no difference. Does it matter if they are 2 wire switches from ooznest? Wired as per video.

Here is another alarm that pops up too and a small video of what happens when I press home.

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Ahh see that is important missing info. Was assuming one of the documented switches from docs.openbuilds.com (always mention when doing something non standard, as is saves you from frustration too by getting answers that work from facts hehe)

Can you share pictures? Is it just a switch or is there circuitry. Are they Normally Open or Normally Closed. Depending on which, did you set $5 setting correctly? (github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki is a must read) - incorrect setting will be quite apparent on the Troubleshooting tab (they will show triggered when they are not, and show open when you press them if $5 is inverted from reality)

So still with my original advice Point 1 above. That's what the troubleshooting tab is for. Point 2 it was not, so lets try Point 1 and see if the correct switch reacts and also if the status is correct (green if not pressed, red if pressed, if not play with $5 setting)

The other error screenshot is just user error. A job is busy running, and you seem to be sending '$' commands at the same time which is just a no no that Grbl complains about. Stop the job then do your $ commands.
    Commands are explained on github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki too

DannyDog likes this.
  7. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

They are wired as open. I have gone through troubleshooting and all switches correspond to correct axis and also trigger correctly when depressed. Green when not and red as soon as I press them.

They are wired as per openbuilds video, black on left red on right middle left empty on the connectors. As i say everything seems to behave as it should until I hit that homing button. I can jog all over the place and if it hits a switch it triggers alarm.

The other problem I mentioned previously was not during anything at all. All I had done was hit home, did the usual went about 10mm and alarm went off. I then cleared and immediately it threw up that other alarm.

Thank you for all your help up to now.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

The authoritive source of information is docs.openbuilds.com, please cross reference, as the videos are still some related to the xPro (not the BlackBox)

Screenshot shows its playing, and the Play button is grayed out, STOP is not, so it looks like it is busy running. The screenshot also shows the serial log which shows the output of the "$$" command, so you either clicked the settings tab, refresh settings, or sent $$ from the serial console while Grbl was still busy (in an alarm state, running gcode, jogging, etc) . Grbl just wants to be Idle before doing other tasks.: See gnea/grbl for the details

Post pictures of the switches and connectors side.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

EMI? Get good switches with RC filters: Xtension Limit Switch Kit

10. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

The video was the blackbox one.

Here are the limit switches and connection end. The limit switch on the z axis, this is what happens and throws the alarm so doesn't even attempt to back off.

Process of elimination I shall strip all cables from drag chains, separate and see if it makes a difference.

Attached Files:

11. Peter Van Der Walt

12. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

So I have to change the wires round too?

I have changed the setting and tried and now it travels the distance but it's not stopping when it hits the limit switch. The switch turns on and off as should.

Attached Files:

13. Peter Van Der Walt

As long as its wired NO (as we know works) and closes SIG to GND when pressed, and $5=1 (reset afterwards) then at least you are on the baseline of the config we know should work (used by almost everyone here at least)

Thanks for the video (same filename as before, so not sure how that helps, i already watched it before) but man, troubleshooting tab please (; this issue is taking forever to solve as I am working blind. We built in the tools, lets see the testing. Video that instead (;

Grbl is so simple under the hood!

- Switches wired NO [check]
    - $5=1 [check]
    - Homing Enabled [paste your grbl settings - hard to get them off the photos of a screen, copy paste instead from serial terminal]
    - Troubleshooting shows all switches open before you home [been mentioning it but please prove it -just like I asked about your wiring and it was wrong, I'll have to see it to eliminate it off the list I'm afraid]

It should
    - Hitting Z first, pulls off, rehomes slowly to establish home, pulls of.
    - Then Homes XY in a diagonal move, stopping the relevant one once hit, then pulls off, rehomes slowly to establish home, then pulls off again.
    As its a combination move, a wrong wired X will alarm when Z is moving etc too for example...
    So, video please, of screen on troubleshooting tab. Press the Z switch by hand lets see what updates on troubleshooting tab. then press X switch, then Y in turn, lets make sure, together, two sets of eyes are better, that the right switch responds in the right way now.

Oh and you did remember to reset after changing $5?

14. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Sorry, I'm not the best with this side of it all. Building things yes, electronics not so.

Also it was my phone uploading the wrong file. It is a video of what is happening now I have checked and changed all those things.

Here it is, the correct one now.

I'm not the best with forums, computers and building them yes but using the net I'm not the best. So I do apologise for my dumbness in this part.

Attached Files:

15. Peter Van Der Walt

No problem man! I'll stick with you till the end on this one (; and I am thankful for your speedy replies and patience for sure too!

Downloading video now, will let you know what I see

DannyDog likes this.
  16. Peter Van Der Walt

Alright, good, at least it keeps looking for a switch and doesnt just error out, so I am still thinking we have an issue of for example Z switch plugged into the X-port or Y-Port by accident
    Troubleshooting tab to the rescue!

17. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Woohoo and thank you so much for your patience.

I went over it all again, troubleshooting panel etc all corresponding perfectly but again, didn't stop.

All jogging working fine, alarms trip as they should but it just wasnt all working together.

And there it was, I got my torch out to trace all wires, inspect everything and just out the corner me eye was a glistening piece of bloody cable from when I've stripped some down. Only shorting everytime the z carriage moved so just as the wheel came into contact with the switch I was bending this sliver of wire and causing it to short the switch somehow.

Silly of me I know. Anyhow, removed it and now it all works fine. Full homing cycle all done. Turned it all of and back on just to check and all good.

So thank you so much for all your help and patience with me. Very much appreciated.

I can now get on and start making.

Danny

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Man! That is an annoying little wire! Well kudos on finding it! That was never going to be my guess!

Now, have a tall one (or hot one whatever your celebratory drink is) and enjoy the machine at last!

RV6APilot, DannyDog and sharmstr like this.