Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

blackbox 5v pwm output for rf lasers

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by nevesp, Mar 3, 2024.

1. nevesp

nevesp New
    Builder

Hi all

I am new here and maybe I missed some discussions about my topic. Sorry if so.

I am quite confused about the blackbox controllers: For my rf laser to run I need a 5v pwm differential signal. Are the blackbox controllers able to produce this kind of signals? .. maybe with a Max485 in between? The docs only refer to 12v and 24v pwm examples..

My RF tube is a coherent g/e-150 150W, normally running at 20kHz, controlled at the moment by a leetro mpc 6575 which I want to replace:)

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If it is a Blackbox 4X it is 0-5V pwm. If a Blackbox X32, then the out put for the tool is 0-3.3V pwm.
    upload_2024-3-3_14-57-6.png

You would have to make 3.3V your 100 percent, but since I am not smart enough to explain it well, hopefully someone who is will chime in.

Also, I am glad you asked, because I am about to do something similar with the X32, and had not thought that far ahead.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Pwm = pulse width. The voltage doesn't matter, PWM inputs measures the timing between the up and down sections of the pulse train.

Where the voltage does matter is whether your device won't backfeed 5V to the 3.3v outputs of the BlackBox - that will kill the BlackBox. Most "inputs" are safe, but double check with multimeter for pullup or stray voltage before connecting to BlackBox

4. nevesp

nevesp New
    Builder

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

That is an analog input motor controller.

Most laser PSUs of the last decade or so could run off 3.3v PWM as many of the laser DSPs are 3.3v too