Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BLACK BOX MOTORS WON'T WORK

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MTNMAN702, Mar 20, 2020.

1. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

I've been searching the forums for a while now and can't find an answer to my problem. I just put a Open Build's Black Box on my C-Beam machine. The stepper motors will not turn. They make a loud noise and then act like they are seized up. After checking the wiring diagram again, I realized I wired them backwards (I followed the Youtube video on the LEAD machine originally). The picture is how they are wired now. I then verified all jumpers were correct inside the Black Box. It still does the same thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I used the High Torque NEMA 23 stepper motors (MT-2315HS300AW-OB). I assume these are compatible with the Black Box.
    [​IMG]

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The symptoms are exactly what you would expect if the motors are wired incorrectly. I am assuming you either didn't get the motors from Openbuilds, or you have had them for a while. The colour coding of the wires on stepper motors are not standardised. Disconnect the motors and check with a multimeter on continuity or resistance to find out which pairs of wires are connected to a coil (low resistance or continuity beep) . Treat one pair as A+ and A- and the other as B+ and B-. To make life easier disconnect the motor you are testing from the drive pulley or leadscrew and check to see which way it turns. If it turns the wrong way reverse A+/A- OR B+/B- and it should turn the right way.
    Come back to us if that doesn't solve the problem.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt and Giarc like this.
  3. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

Alex, they are Open Build motors but, they are about three years old and unused. Thanks for the trouble shooting tips. Makes perfect sense. I'll let you know how it turns out.

4. MTNMAN702

MTNMAN702 New
    Builder

Just my luck! I found myself without my meter. But, with a little deductive troubleshooting, and going off your tip, Alex, I was able to find the correct wiring order. It's working like a charm!
    Thanks Again!

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Pleased to hear that, good luck with the rest of the re-build.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.