Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black box issues

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by James111, Apr 10, 2019.

1. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

hi new to open builds and a new owner of a black box controller. I’ve been into cnc for about 10 years for my job and hobby. I’ve owned various 3D printers and a shapeoko at home. I’m also currently running a Bauer Bohrmax z cnc drill & mill for work which has a 4m bed and a tool changer that can take 14 tools at a go.

Just after Christmas I managed to get my hands on a 3040 cnc for very cheap threw a cnc shield in and was up an running in no time. Soon I out grew the shield and searching the internet I came across the black box and liked what I saw so ordered myself one. I’m in the uk and ordered strait from the open builds store and received my black box about 3weeks ago. Tonight I finally got myself some time to take it out the box and hook it up to my 3040 and that’s as far as I can get.

Here is where I’m at
    24v powering the black box
    Running openbuilds control
    Openbuilds control sees the black box
    $4=1
    On power up I get a red light on y2 and z
    As soon as I try to jog any axis instant red light on all axis
    This happens regardless of steppers plugged in or out and stepper current

Hope some one can help me before I contact openbuilds as I’m stumped

Cheers James

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

Seems to be a common issue. Some have been fixed with acetone on the muscle board. Others needed the muscle board replaced. Reach out to the OB store for assistance.

Edit: Acetone info: Need help with new Open Build BlackBox

I would also check the current trim pots.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the reply you are correct I was hoping not to have to contact them as I’m in the uk and who knows how long a replacement board will take to come.

4. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

Took the black box into work today for a good wash in acetone fingers crossed this does the trick. 0917EC95-7006-4280-B92B-D83012899FF5.jpeg B0E7EF64-5C80-47DE-BEE6-448802643154.jpeg

#4 James111, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    sharmstr likes this.
  5. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

While I’m at work I’ve taken a look in the parts bin as I’ve been having a few issues with skipped steps. I wonder if this will sort it

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

This ones interesting, havent had one with all 4 red. Rooting for the Acetone too, but its only worked on 1 of the 4 we've tried the trick.
    Do reach out to [email protected] though, I am sure they can work something out if it doesnt spring to life

Mark Carew likes this.
  7. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

I sent a email last night just waiting on a reply. I may do a video tonight if it helps show my problem. It was over a month ago I made the order and with shipping to uk going through customs then me finding time to get stuck in to the change over I’m guessing it one of the first off the production.

8. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

Just got home and the issue is still there but open builds are sending me a replacement so all is good thank you open builds.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  9. James111

James111 Well-Known
    Builder

Replacement received hooked up and all is well apart from the customs charge I have been caught with again. Openbuilds top notch on the customer service front.

Thanks James

sharmstr likes this.