Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box Fan

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Sully3535, May 30, 2019.

1. Sully3535

Sully3535 New
    Builder

The fan doesn't work on my new Black Box. Any suggestions?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

It only comes on when the 24v side power is on. Is this not the case for you? Are you sure you wired it correctly when you built it?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

And if its not the above (Power not on, or fan plugged in in reverse) reach out to [email protected] for a replacement fan

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known
    Builder

I received my replacement fan this morning. Fan still not coming on. I have the 24v power supply turned on (router led) light comes on and have turned on the on/off switch on the black box. The black box is getting pretty hot. Is there a temp delay built into the works or should the fan come on immediately? I even removed the top to check the fan connection. I had no doubt that wasn't the problem or at least having it hooked up incorrectly as it is DC and even if it was backward, my experience is the fan would be turning backward as well. All stepper motors work just fine. Limit switches do not stop moving as I had expected. That probably is another matter. Although now I need to readjust gantry as left side kept moving after right side encounter limit switch and I was on the other end of the unit. Took a little bit of time for me to get to the power switch. I thought the reason for the limit switch was to stop the unit with a fault to prevent one side bumping and the other moving?

#4 Stumpy, Aug 16, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM
  5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi stumpy, the polarity does matter (it is labeled + for red and - black ) and make sure your power supply is set to the correct input voltage with the small switch on the side for 120V AC or 220V AC operation (edit; this is probably fine as the motors are working!). Also double check that the two boards are plugged in correct and no pin is misaligned.

As for the limit switches you need to have them enabled in the settings, test them manually instead of crashing into them to make sure they work before doing damage. :)
    Cheers
    Gary

#5 Gary Caruso, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Modern fans are solid state brushless DC motors with control circuitry inside. Getting the polarity wrong will fry them.
    So was it hooked up wrong, admitting will help us zoom in on the problem

It was designed to have cooling. Choosing to run it without the fan is reckless, heat kills electronics.

sharmstr likes this.
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known
    Builder

I hate to admit I was wrong:banghead: but it does in fact matter which way the polarity is connected to the fan. Having been a shade tree mechanic for a couple of days, my experience was that a dc motor would simply run in reverse. Good thing I don't make a living being a grease monkey anymore!;) Found the problem! The second fan motor from open build did not compute! Went to my local computer store and purchased another fan from them, plugged it into the box (correctly) and voila!, I felt a small gust of air. Put the black box completely back together and tested the fan. It works!! Appreciate the expert help. Lord knows I can't even spell expert much less be one. Thanks a bunch. Now, where did I put that ball-peen hammer...

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  8. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known
    Builder

Most likely, I screwed the pooch with the second fan. I must have reversed polarity and fried it. This build is going to be a huge learning experience for this country boy. Well, got to go feed the chickens and slop the hogs. Or is it feed the hogs and slop the chickens? I get so confused...

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

Awesome, and glad you are sorted :)
    Had to ask, as if you really didnt, my next step wouldve had you measure voltage on the fan header (; so luckily we dont need to go there.

Glad your PC shop had 24v fans? PC stuff is usually 12v

10. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known
    Builder

Yeppers, that is why I bought a third fan. (24.3 volts) I was surprised that they had 24v fans as well. The Lord was smiling at my incompetence and gave me a helping hand. My Kimber 45 may have added some impetus to the store employee...

11. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I bought a 4 pack for something like $9 on amazon, they come in handy
    Glad you got it sorted.
    Gary

12. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known
    Builder

Will add that to my "want" list for Amazon. My wife tells me we should own stock in Amazon...we pay a lot of salaries there!

Gary Caruso likes this.