Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black Box Controller

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by joefroooo, Feb 6, 2020.

1. joefroooo

joefroooo New
    Builder

I have a machine up and running using Open Builds extrusion and ran a air cut of the hello world G code program using Open Build CAM generator. Everything runs well.
    My question is how do you import a DFX file and create a G code program to send to the open builds controller using the programs? Is there a better cam and g code set up that is not a lot of money
    Would really like to see a video of the above. All I have found was the hello world tutorials. .
    Thanks in advance
    Joe

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuildsCAM is free (supports DXF but make sure its DXF-R14-Polyline format. Use the FILE menu to load your files), otherwise, look at Fusion360, SketchuCAM, FEngrave etc for free options.
    Paid options: Consider Vectric Products - OpenBuilds Part Store - really easy to use

3. joefroooo

joefroooo New
    Builder

I spent a few unsuccessful hours last night. My cad will only export DFX as R12 or 2004 polylines. No R14 . Looking for a video on creating tool paths. Is there such a video out there.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

R12 (newer than R14 is the possibly troublesome area, older should be fine) should work too, post the files as attachment if you need us to check them out for you

No video, its too simple:
    1. Select entity/entities you want to belong to one toolpath
    2. Click Add to Toolpath
    3. Setup parameters like endmill dia, feedrate, etc
    4. Click preview and check that its what you want
    5. (optional repeat 1-4 for other entities)
    6. Generate Gcode

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  5. joefroooo

joefroooo New
    Builder

Thanks Peter that is what I did but when simulate tool cut path the cutter traveled way wide of the actual drawing. Also I drew cad drawing in inches but when generate code it is in metric, I think. I am not near the system now but do plan on trying again this weekend. I would sure like to get a grasp on this.
    thank you for your help Peter
    Joe

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Also export your Workspace (from file -> export workspace .obc) - i can load it and see all the setups you and toolpaths you had to see why that happens

We're here, just post the troublesome stuff and if its a bug it'll get fixed, otherwise we'll show you the way man! :)