Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Black box check size question??

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Colt Feinauer, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Colt Feinauer

Builder

i will try to make this as clear as possible, hopefully everyone can understand what i am referring to.

so when using the check size feature on OB-control, the check size feature always includes my rapid moves as well as the actual part size, this makes locating and checking kind of useless.

example, my stock size is 5''x5'', i am engraving a 1''x1'' square in the center. i always zero in the bottom left corner. when i hit check size, instead of moving up to the acutal part start point and showing where just the 1x1 square would be it shows from my zero point on the bottom left edge, all the way to where the part would be then back to the zero point.

now with that being said it has always done that, with the exception of a few weeks where it worked like it should after an update ( showed just where the actual part would be) but then i updated again a few weeks later and now it does the same thing it used to ( going from zero back to zero).

i am using Carbide Create as my CAD software and am using the PP that comes with that software, i haven't changed that from the beginning but am wondering if that is part of the issue.

here is a video showing the problem that might be a little clearer what i am trying to say

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I had that thought once. But then I realized that my expectation for what its used for was wrong. If you understand that it will show you the extent of what you have programmed (all coordinates are relative to x and y 0), then it does exactly what its meant to do. Another way to think of it is a check to make sure that your part will fit your stock.

Set your part x,y 0 where you want the lower left corner of your rectangle to be and it will better meet your expectation. Or in the center of where you want your artwork would also work.

I didnt see anything in the changelog that would indicate this being the case. Peter can verify if there were any changes, but my guess is that your x and y 0 were closer to the area being cut.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Amaiurymsa

Builder

Hi All,

I would like to understand how this "check size" function is working....

when I upload a gcode, and launch the Check Size, the X & Y are moving -10mm away from 0.
    that's something i would try to avoid especially when I start the gcode from the 0/0 of the machine cause it goes directly into the limit switches...

I enclosed the file I used to place insert into my spoiler board, maybe it can help to found something wrong.

I'm running a workbee 1510 with a black box controller and use Fusion with the post processor installed following the instructions on the site and select WCS = 1 during the post process sequence.

thanks for your help/comments

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Amaiurymsa

Builder

wow! thanks for your quick answer.
    I will check from where I must change those values but i now underestand why thanks to you @Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.