Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

black box and Center Finder?

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by dfox1787, Nov 2, 2019.

1. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Is there a center finder on the open builds software with blackbox?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No. But you can write or find the code and add it to a macro.

3. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Can anyone point me in the right direction for one? I'm no coder. What code is it?

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

"Center finder". I'm assuming you want to find the center of a hole? What probe do you have?

5. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

I'll be using a endmill for the probe.

I use mach3 with 2010 screen set on my other machine and that has all the print scripts built in.

I've got a touch plate with a hole in the corner. I use the hole to find the center of the corner

6. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

So, you're actually trying to find a corner. I'm assuming your plate looks like this

[​IMG]

Instead of probing the hole, probe the outside edges. Here's the a post about how to build your code and add it to OB Control as a macro: OpenBuilds CONTROL Software

7. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Y
    that's similar to what I have made. I can use outside edge probing. The center probing was also handy for other applications.

8. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

For sure. The center is good for v-bits and such. Hit me up if you have issues.

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Im just reading up about the corner macro. I dont really want to XY and Z probe as Z could be anywhere on the work piece not just the corner. I may machine this area away and need to tool change.

Im looking for XY probing only but a macro each of the corners. Macro for bottom left, bottom right etc.

Like my existing software in mach3:

Attached Files:

10. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Then take the Z probe lines out of it. If you read the docs in the link I sent you, it explains each line of the macro.

11. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Yes i just read that. I dont think this macro actually zeros Z. It doesnt have any code for plate thickness so im guessing it just uses the Z movement as reference so its doesnt crash into the corner plate.

Im still looking on how i can create macro buttons for the other corners so im not restricted to the Bottom left corner.

12. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

It most certainly sets Z. The last line does it. When you create the macro, you have to adjust those values using your plate thickness for Z and your plate thickness as well as your bit diameter for X and Y. The docs explain that.

13. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

it does indeed. maybe it will be easy to do the full probe and then re do the Z using the Built in Z probe in the Open Builds software.

sharmstr likes this.
  14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

If you want a whole lot of probing options already built into the software, Estlcam as a free version. I paid for mine ($59) because I really like it and I want him to keep on developing it. I love the center finding and surface scanning functions. There is even a setting where it will raise over your clamps while cutting.

Center finding at 3:23. I use aluminum tape as well. It works great:

Automated edge finding:

Surface scanning.

Here is a screen shot of the controller software. On the far right are all your choices of probing/centering.
    estlcam.png

#14 Giarc, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  15. dfox1787

dfox1787 New
    Builder

Awesome. Ill check this out looks like it has more functionality in terms of probing thant he open builds software. Happy to pay too if it does what i need. Im assuming ti will work with the black box controller since its just grbl?

16. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

When you set it up, you choose "grbl" for g code. It will make changes to your controller, but it saves your data and will let you revert it back to the way it was before Estlcam was installed. I use the CAM portion as well because I find it quicker and easier to just draw up whatever I am cutting in a 2D drawing then saving it as a .DXF file. Then I open that in Estlcam and create my tool paths. There are a few nuances that are explained in the videos. It also lets you import an .stl file and machine that as well.

I am not trying to talk you out of Openbuilds software if you like it. I have just been really happy with Estlcam. I purchased the license a few months before the Openbuilds software came out and I was already used to using it and I liked it so I have never used the Opendbuilds software. Therefore, I can not give a comparison of the two.

#16 Giarc, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019