Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Bit went further down the further out it went.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Brandyn, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Brandyn

Brandyn New
    Builder

I was doing a circle pocket 1/4" deep in 1" material using a 1/4" upcut, was cutting at a depth of .25, basically it was this round piece of pine, was putting a pocket in it, started the work from the center and I thought things were going alright when I was sitting at the back of the machine and well things got loud so I hit abort and discovered basically the further from the center it got it would be stepping down a bit deeper and eventually went all the way into my spoilboard that was when it got loud and I hit abort. What would be the cause of that? Too high of speed at too much of a depth? Also when I was trying to zero in my z my interface had a disconnect and drove into the wood a little till I had to hit the power button on blackbox so I don't know if that done something.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Possible, what speeds and depths were you running at?

A loose collet nut, or undersized tooling (6mm shaft in 1/4" collet for example) can pull out while the job is running, do check if the buit pulled out of the collet, or whether the Z axis itself dropped.

If its the Z itself, also check mechanicals (loose setscrews on shaft coupler?) and also wiring (docs:blackbox-4x:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation])

Also make sure your Z axis Max Rate and Acceleration is tuned correctly so it doesn't stall during lifts at speed (Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki and Grbl v1.1 Configuration · gnea/grbl Wiki)

3. Brandyn

Brandyn New
    Builder

Was like 215/ipm at 1/4" depth

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Definitely on the aggressive side.
    DOC should be more like half tool diameter (so 1.8") and then lower feedrate as well. Start slower and work up to a comfortable level

5. Brandyn

Brandyn New
    Builder

Well I finally made it back out to my machine and sure enough it was the bit that slipped lower so guess I just slipped up and didn't get it tight enough that time.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

That's a good catch then :) its one of those things you'd never think to check until you know about it. Happens to us all! Glad you found it