Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Bit Setter - Carbide 3d

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by KaosCNC, Jun 4, 2020.

1. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

Is it remotely possible to use the Carbide 3d BitSetter with OB BlackBox and Control ?

Shapeoko BitSetter

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Theoretically yes

- Grbl supports G43.1 and G49 (set and cancel tool length offset): gnea/grbl
    - These are explained a little more here G Codes and here G Codes
    - I suspect the position to find the Bitsetter, just gets stored in G28 or G30 G Codes or G Codes

So should be something along the lines of mounting, then
    - Jog over to above it, with Z at the right height - then storing that location with G28/G30
    - Make a macro button that
    - returns to the saved location
    - turns off spindle
    - Performs a Z probe to trigger the bitSetter
    - Sets the offset based on the probe value

Have not done it ourselves, but that should give you enough to experiment with

PS: If you havent bought a Bitsetter, you don't have to - you can use XYZ Touch Probe Plus as well (just have to clip the magnet to the endmill, only real difference between that one having a switch, and this way having the clip that completes the circuit when it touches off

sharmstr, brrian and Rick 2.0 like this.
  3. Jerosario

Jerosario New
    Builder

Just curious if OpenBuilds has considered making something like the bitsetter and adding the function to OpenBuilds Control. Sometimes when doing a 3d carve you lose the original surface due to cutting and it is sometimes inconvenient if not impossible to probe the machine bed due to material size. Also the xyz probe isn’t always great for probing the bed surface since it can rock back and forth if you aren’t careful.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

See Bit Setter - Carbide 3d (using Macros and our XYZ probe - no extra hardware needed

Mark a place to put the probe down (upside down on the spoilboard in a rarely used corner for example) and store it as your G28/G30 toolchange location.

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    sharmstr likes this.
  5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

That is precisely the reason I purchased one of the older OpenBuilds round touch plates. I plan to eventually install it permanently off to the side of my main cutting area.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. JStewieDesigns

Builder

Wish I knew how to write macros for this as it's something I'd like to do once I get this Black Box hooked up to my Onefinity cnc router. I'm still trying to understand exactly how the macros work. For example if I save out a tool path containing let's say a 1/4 flat endmill to rough out material and then need to change out to a 1/4 ball endmill I assume as I've seen in the past when I had a Shapeoko it'll pop up with a message to change to tool number (X) and re-probe for Z. But with a macros for implementing a tool length offset from a specific stored location, does that macros automatically run or do you have to click something for it to run?

7. john car

john car New
    Builder

Would be great if the team at Openbuilds could put the bit setter option in the next build of control for those that will be swamping out there Carbide 3D controller for Blackbox controller. There is a lot of frustrated Carbide 3D owners that would make the switch if they could use bit setter.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

We'd love to, but please work with us. We don't have the hardware / testing / etc on hand. Help build it out as a Javascript Macro as described above, tweaking away until its nicely polished, and we'd be happy to adopt some more "official" support for it.

9. john car

john car New
    Builder

I purchased the blackbox 32 and will be making the switch shortly. What hardware do you need to do testing? I could send your team the bit setter hardware for testing?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

No need, if you are up for some testing volunteering :)
    Shout when you are all set up and we can take it from there. The X32 runs GrblHAL which supports toolchanges so it shouldn't take as much work as the older generation would have

11. john car

john car New
    Builder

Will do Peter.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

13. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

I very interested in this, how can I volunteer for testing.

14. Peter Van Der Walt

There's some existing CNCjs macros - that needs a little conversion to use with CONTROL Getting started with Javascript Macros in CONTROL / Library of Macros created by the community
    Macros makes it easier for non-devs to do some legwork - we can always extract functionality from that and build it back into CONTROL.

Less so much about testing, as also that initial groundwork - I am quite tied up in two or three urgent projects (and there's always some other urgent thing that gets ahead of toolchanges in the queue) - so the more that gets done, the better - we can spend time polishing up a GUI instead of figuring it all out from scratch :)

There is also some parked code inside CONTROL we can pick back up (menu that splits jobs on M6 commands etc) - see Toolchanges · Issue #26 · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL

Just remember to approach it all modular - not just for use with the bitsetter - but also work clever with our XYZ probe (throw it upside down in a marked location on the spoilboard and use it for TLO probes too)

15. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

I do understand that you are tied up with other projects. Have you looked at the tool change functions built into ghrlHAL and the way it works with ioSeneder? I just tried out ioSender with the black box and tool changes work well. My uneducated guess is that a lot of the functionality is built into grblHAL.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

that-jim and Misterg like this.
  17. Houss Ribeiro

Builder

Hi, since i have a Opnebuilds LEAD1010, i would like to have something similar to Bitsetter (Shapeoko), any idea? how to? there is any video to teach ?
    Thank you in advance
    Regards

18. Houss Ribeiro

Builder

Or Any code that you guys can share?
    Thank you

19. Peter Van Der Walt

20. Mike Graham

Builder

I will try on my friends Shapeoko XXL, I will download the OpenBuilds Software on his machine and try the bitsetter macro. Where is this macro?

21. Peter Van Der Walt

See post #19 above for the link (right above your question)