Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Big Stepper Motors

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Thomas Cops, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Thomas Cops

Builder

What can i do with these. I have 4 of the PK299 and 1 PK296. I would love to include them in my build but seeing as its my first i don't know the first thing about em. I got them from a scrap cnc at work. I also have a giant Spindle HSD ES919. that things a beast though no way to incorporate that into a home cnc. IMG_20200819_102440.jpg IMG_20200819_102450.jpg

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Just Google the model numbers. For example, looks like the 299s are more or less pretty standard 4.5Nm NEMA 34s, common in XY stages. I have a couple in my mill. No idea about the 296s.

Spindle's only ISO 30, so not that big, but might need a rebuild if it's got some age on it. That's probably several thousand dollars. Same price as buying a new ISO30 ATC spindle. Not sure about it otherwise.

3. Thomas Cops

Builder

IMG_20200819_110500.jpg IMG_20200819_110511.jpg
    When i say beast i mean heavy. The cnc my work scraped was in good working condition except for the problems we had with the controller. It was an old machine
    but only used a few times a day for custom work. Mostly single pieces we have another cnc gantry an even bigger beast with a motor twice the size.
    So our repair guy let the other sit until he left so they scraped the smaller one just to get it out of the way. So i tore off all the motors to salvage them.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Oh, I had a pretty good idea of what it was. I'd definitely still try and put that on a machine, it's not that excessive for the home shop, except if your power can't supply the VFD to run it. Likely need a 50A line to run a 28A motor, but I think you could limit the power level at the VFD and add some more caps to the HVDC bus to get something pretty useable out of a 30A line.

It would probably be a static gantry, single column or even horizontal machine, but if it's in good working order it's too good to pass up. ISO/BT30 is probably about the limit of what's feasible to build in the home shop. The limits of what you can do as a home gamer are 1) physical space and 2) electrical power. Everything else is negotiable!

That's a hell of a scrap haul though.