Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

bCNC 0.9.14-der

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Rogue_One, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hello,

i did research on how to install bCNC software on macOS, None was clear enough explaining how to install it. Can any one help. to install it.

Thank

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

4. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

Attached Files:

5. Peter Van Der Walt

If you run Grbl 1.1 (released in 2016 and newer) yes

No, you only configure Grbl. If your Grbl settings are done, just connect and start working (don't touch the working Grbl settings)

6. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hi,

1.) I install Arduino IDE V2.0.-rc6 and now connected to mac usb3.0 Arduino Uno on /dev/cu.wchusbserial20
    i did blink test work perfect. I also did try Arduino 1.8.19v it also working find too.
    download usb driver CH34XSER_MAC.ZIP and install it working.

Help...
    2.) I install the openbuilds CONTROL v1.3.317 on my 2013 MacOS Monterey 12.3.1
    unable to get it connect. Get error port close. see pictures of error

trying download grbl 1.1 or latest for macOS., Can't find any link to download. help

Thanks guys, Mush appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

So, fake arduino? Expect reliability issues ahead - then get yourself a proper controller like a https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

OpenBuildsCONTROL > Wizards and tools > Firmware flashing wizard. Grbl is a firmware installed on your Arduino = "not for macos"

Before you continue, read GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino - ALL of it - every page. Knowledge is power

8. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

But my system that i have now it respberry Pi 4 + arduino/cnc shield and running 100%, I just want to disconnect the respberry Pi 4 from Arduino+cnc shield and run it from the mac.

So even with and original Arduino uno, which i also have and work too. On the mac., you guys suggested to go with "openbuilds CONTROL v1.3.317" So now that install and not working.
    you telling me go and buy this controller for $200.

how do i fix the close port problem on openbuilds. i follow the link to gtbl, no help how to install. So kindly help me install gtbl and flash to ardunio.

9. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

by the way, This my custom build setup. work 100%.
    i just want to disconnect respberry Pi 4, And use my mac to control it.

Attached Files:

10. Peter Van Der Walt

And in doing so (not sure why, if you had a working setup you then flashed the Blink sketch) you wiped your old Grbl install.

Thus: the advice offered to help you (easily) reinstall Grbl. Then to read the Grbl wiki so you learn the differences between Firmware, host applications etc.

Reread my earlier reply too, seeing CH340 tells us its a fake arduino (ch340 usb chips are known to suffer serial comms issues with high speed data and does not last long) and my suggestion was "when it fails" someday to consider a BlackBox. Take a deep breath, read carefully and follow the instructions provided - thanks

11. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

i don't think you understand,
    this is first time im setup Arduino uno board and install arduino software + install openbiuld software.
    all i did was follow the instructions from arduino wedsite install and test the board to establish communication. Once i did that. The next step, was install the openbuild software.
    that's as far as i got. I have not install any grbl firmware Yet.! Because i don't understand how to do it?. Read all of it every page.

And so that you can understand, MacOS ""USB ports"" ARE not same as in Windows PC., Whether you're using third-party interface board, A USB third-party Drive is required.
    So whether arduino is fake or not, It still same interface board.

So now im using the original Arduino Uno interface Board and arduino software., Plugged in to USB Port working. I install openbuilds AND still same error port-close. Now what?

Yes i understand very clear, """OpenBuildsCONTROL > Wizards and tools > Firmware flashing wizard. Grbl is a firmware installed on your Arduino = "not for macos"

Before you continue, read GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino - ALL of it - every page. Knowledge is power"""

So can you help?

12. Peter Van Der Walt

That wasn't my point - remember as support people we see everyones troubles. CH340 is not great with the amount of data Grbl needs to stream. Well familiar with it - we use it on some of our (non-Grbl) products - its just not great with Grbl. Its drivers are also a lot less stable than say, FTDI or 8U2 used on other controllers.
    Anyway, not related to your current issue and you say you have the better Uno in there now so future problems averted.

Great but ... have you Installed GRBL FIRMWARE onto your Uno?

As explained above

Use the wizard, to install Grbl onto your controller. Not click connect... Click Wizards and Tools > Firmware flashing > Select your board, port and flavour and click Flash... Follow through when we provide you with instructions - you have to go in there and click on what we tell you to :)

Limitedly yes, as its not our machine or hardware - we don't really offer a full technical support service for non-customers after all. But please just do follow the instructions provided above and you'll be one step closer. CONTROL is free software, for any Grbl based controller.

Normally this would have gone like this:
    - Existing setup running Grbl
    - Install CONTROL
    - Connect

You mistake was destroying your existing install of Grbl by installing Arduino, and Blink etc - which was not needed. Now you have extra work to fix that first

13. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hi,

i plug in the new arduino uno board, and open openbuilds >>Click Wizards and Tools > Firmware flashing > Select your board, port and flavour and click Flash...

Attached Files:

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Great, you now have a blank install of Grbl on the board. Proceed and Connect

15. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

openbuilds establish communication:thumbsup:

don't want get too far ahead of my seft but very important question.,

When i was using bCNC, My controller settting, the following setting stepper motor. See picture for previous setting.
    The stepper motor setting, how do i enter this information to the openbuilds.

Longsmotor:
    DM542 stepper driver/ switch setting are 2000/2.9A
    23 nema 1.8deg/step 425zo dual shank stepper motor.

Attached Files:

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl Settings tab along the top

17. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hi,

So i enter my previous setting.

I'm going run test on the stepper motor to make sure they're going the right direction. Apart from this anything else i need to do?

Attached Files:

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Should be done and ready to roll.

From here on you can use the Wizards Menu to check your calibration maybe, if you want to.

19. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

the setup when well.

The stepper Drivers DM542A Pin enable, This is enable in openbuilds setting, LCD is red, when i jog X,Y,Z The motors don't move. if disenable it, still don't move.
    how do i set this so it move when it dose a job.

On bCNC this was set automatic Enable/Disenable.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

You can change it enabled or disabled as needed - some drivers need it Enabled, some doesn't. Use the dropdown to change it, click Save, and click Reset when prompted
    Try both, one should work

bCNC, CONTROL, all other host application all just tell Grbl (the firmware on the microcontroller on the Uno) "Hey move to" - grbl does the rest. The choice of application is irrelevant

21. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

Hi, Peter van Der Walt
    i did video show how machine is performing.

i have not done probe test yet, or E-Stop
    would like no how setup E-stop. Also is there a G-code to assigned stepper driver enable/disenable by off/no to delay

Rogue One

22. Rogue_One

Rogue_One New
    Builder

hi,
    sometime i do 3D carving, is there any 3D carving cam for macOS. The cam in openbuilds link for windows PC. Which don't run macOS.

23. Peter Van Der Walt

Not a lot of MacOS options for CAM but you can run Fusion 360 on Mac. Other CAMs can be run under Parallels for Mac. Web based CAMs works on all OSs