Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Automatic flatness measurement

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by PierreLouis, Oct 8, 2023.

1. PierreLouis

Builder

Starting from the ambition to improve my baseboard flatness, I started by measuring it.
    I developped an automatic google sheet to generate the GRBL program to scan it along a X / Y grid and to process the output from console. If you want to use it, you can access it ans copy it for your use :
    Program GBRL Check baseboard

To run it, I use a "trailing" probe pad : adhesive tape from the spindle.

https://openbuilds.com/attachments/...0/?temp_hash=06e696b38c35f27b7691a65755925efa

The result that I found seems to show more an insufficient stiffness of my single X axis lead 1515 with a 3.2kg 1500W water cooled spindle. There is about 3mm of variation between corners and center. Have you observed similar values or is it common on this kind of setup ? I am not sure that machining my base board will not work since the vertical force on the tool will depend of the machining parameters.

https://openbuilds.com/attachments/...9/?temp_hash=06e696b38c35f27b7691a65755925efa

If you have any comment or suggestion you are welcome !

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

no need to measure it, just use the flattening wizard to cut it flat (-:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

If the gantry is sagging by 3mm, and I don't see any obvious problems with the methodology, cutting it flat is more like dishing it, which is going to be impossible to clamp to and get solid contact beyond a small fraction of a millimetre,

The only solutions are to rigidify the gantry (hopefully without too much weight) or lighten the carriage/spindle (if it's making a gantry sag by 3mm, the gantry probably doesn't have the capacity to take 1500W of cutting power anyway). This would include the Z axis motor, rails, etc. There may be a happy medium of both.

Of course if you're palletizing arrays and each part is, say, less than 4" square... Would it matter? Maybe not.

4. Pierre--Louis

Builder

Thanks for your answers. I did additionnal measurement by adding 1kg weight on the spindle. Result approximately 0.1mm vertical mouvement, in mahority due to x axis stuffbess but we see also other effects (not fully consistent).
    So that lead possibly out of the 3.5 mm observed on the measurement to 0.5mm/0.7mm due to lack of stiffness. Surfacing or compensating the base board will help in fact.

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Very nice. That sounds plausible by my experience with 1500mm C-Beam. Doing this stuff without defined planes can be difficult, probably requires a laser-based solution.

Though a base board that's out by that much sounds... Odd. Is the subframe good?

6. PierreLouis

Builder

Well.... I need to plea guilty. The baseboard is in fact assembled (2 pieces) and glued to make a sigle 140x150 out of a panel 125x250. I might have a triangle shape distortion.
    I ll remove the baseboard and measure the subframe (classical 40x20 2 // X axis & 3 // Y axis) to be sure I don't have an issue on it.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.