Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

At wit's end

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by MB460, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is it a DC "spindle" (brushed motor with a collet pressed on?)
    I would NOT share a PSU with that - the startup current will floor the PSU initially - but even worse while running you are kicking a tonne of Back-EMF back into sensitive electronics

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I have run your profile and engrave files without any problems, so it is not the code.

I note you are not using the OpenBuilds Fusion 360 postprocessor.
    Get it here docs:software:fusion360 [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    It will do a much better job than the generic post you are using, and also speed up your cuts by putting back the rapids lost to the personal license (-:

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Are you re-zeroing X, and Y between ops? If so, that may be the problem/part of the problem. You only should re-zero Z between operations. The XY zero (origin) should never change.

4. Nautilus Guitars

Builder

I believe it is. I'm just using what was loaned to me, as I wasn't in the financial position to purchase these things, but that's changing. I planned on building my own soon, and this forum has helped me decide where I'll be purchasing things :)

Thank you, David! After running several successful ops after adding dwell commands to my code, I'm certain the problem was a current drop from the higher-demand spindle starting up. On Peter's recommendation, I'll get a secondary PSU for the motor.

I did try to use the OpenBuilds post, but it gave me an error saying "invalid work coordinate system... selecting default wcs1/g54", so I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything differently. I'll gladly use it. CONTROL is already massively improving my experience. Sounds like the OpenBuilds post will too!

I was only doing this initially on the recommendation of a previous poster here who told OP to try that. I'm good now though! The issue seems to be sorted.

Thanks again for the help, guys! It really is greatly appreciated.

Giarc likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Actually, if I was you, I'd rather put the PSU money towards something proper: RoutER11 CNC Kit
    Those little DC motors are massively underpowered, vibration prone, has only radial bearing that break from axial plunge loads, etc. Getting a RoutER11 instead will be a game changer for you

David the swarfer likes this.
  6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

not an error, a warning that you have not selected a Work Coordinate system, it will default to G54 and the code will work just fine.

Alex Chambers likes this.