Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ask Grbl CNC questions here.

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Sonny Jeon, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

NVM, I figured it out, I’m not sure why I thought there were no trim pots on my 2209’s, but there were and they where maxed out.

IMG_8595.jpeg

i installed some A4988’s as 5160’s don’t appear to be supported. Anyway, I was able to crank them up to their max 2A and almost tripled my speeds from 1k mm/m to 2.5k mm/m.

I likely won’t be able to mill at those speeds, but I’m sure I’ll at least double my current speeds.

2. Jeffrey Britton

Builder

Where can I find an updated Grbl settings list for X32?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Built into latest OpenBuilds CONTROL (Grbl Settings tab) or see the grblHAL repos on GitHub

4. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

General question, Im planing to integrate a TTL/PWM controller for my Makita Spindle via the TTL port on my MKS DLC32 v2.1. Normally the TTL port is used for Lasers, is there an easy way to use this for spindles instead of the standard 24v spindle port?

I know for lasers you would normally use $32 to enable the laser, is there a way to remap ports in GRBL (ESP32 version)?

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

$32 does not enable the laser, it enables 'laser mode'.
    in laser mode special things are done with the PWM signal during acceleration and deceleration.
    M3/M4/M5 enable and disable the laser
    Sxxxx sets the power level (PWM)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

So are you saying I don’t need to do anything different to use TTL control instead of the normal spindle output?

7. David the swarfer

yes

dJOS_500 likes this.
  8. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

awesome, great to know.

9. Knairb

Knairb New
    Builder

I'm just getting into a lot of this. I'm a machinist, not a computer programmer, so I get lost in a lot of the technicals about all of this. I recently picked up an UNO R4 Minima hoping it would allow faster processing of high feed coding. Disappointed to find out grbl will not load due to different chip architecture or something. Any ideas when this would be released?

10. BarryKJ

BarryKJ New
    Builder

I have a Cron CNC with a Neje laser attachment, can I use openbuilds to run my machine?

11. David the swarfer

I don't think it will be supported , there are much better chips already supported by grblHAL (such as the ESP32 in the Blackbox x32).

12. David the swarfer

hard to say without a link to the machine and its controller, but in short, if the controller runs GRBL or grblHAL then yes, OpenBuildsCONTROL will be happy to control it.

13. Solitude CNC

Builder

Quick question. Changing my CNC from Arduino board to Blackbox x32 which I just received. My machine runs only two axes, X and Z. Previously I used two external drivers for 2 separate NEMA 17 Z motors. Id like to clone my Z axis in the blackbox, It looks like the x32 does not use jumpers to do so. How to I make this change. I am just familiarizing myself with GrblHAL.

Thanks in advance

Pete

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Use the grblHAL Web Builder: http://svn.io-engineering.com:8080/?driver=ESP32&board=BlackBox X32
    Set the Z-axis to Ganged (This uses Y2 as Z2)
    Flash the built Binary firmware.bin from CONTROL > Wizards and Tools > Firmware flashing tool
    If you want to use homing, set up your homing sequence as $44=4, $45=1 (To disable Y homing)

David the swarfer likes this.
  15. Solitude CNC

Builder

Thank you for the quick reply sir! Much appreciated. I am looking forward to running control rather than UGS.

P.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  16. Peter Van Der Walt

Sounds good! PS Control can be used with Arduinos running Grbl 1.1f or later as well, just FYI

17. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Guys:

I've run into an unusual problem. I've been using F-Engrave for years, just downloaded the latest version.

It is inserting a G90 and a G20 instruction right at the beginning of the file. GRBL hangs on the G90 saying it's not a valid command. The dox for GRBL say that G90 and G91 are valid GRBL supported commands.

There is nothing in F-Engrave that indicates why it is putting these 2 commands in, I don't recall it doing that in earlier versions. There is no setting for this, and the F-Engrave G-Code preamble does not have these commands in it.

Any ideas?

18. terjeio

terjeio Well-Known
    Builder

Are there other commands on the same line causing a modal group violation?

19. Dopenbuild

Builder

LOSS CONNECTION WITH X32
    I am running the OpenBuilds Control software v1.037 with MacBookPro laptop (2019 Ventura 13.4.1) plug into external power source.
    I am using LEAD1010 with ER10 motor and have using it since Oct 2022.
    It has been a couple of months since I started it back up and now I can start a project and it gets about 30 secs into the G code and it looses connection with the X32 box.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dan

Attached Files:

20. Peter Van Der Walt

1) try a different computer as a test
    2) could also be EMI: docs:blackbox-x32:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation]

21. Dopenbuild

Builder

Peter,
    Thanks for the response. I think it is EMI, I ran program without dust or router and G-code ran for 20+min then I stopped it.
    I ran with just router and continued again till I stopped it. Think it has to do with my hose for the dust routed up by the Z motor. I had moved the hose from where it previously was when all was working.
    Peter,
    Thanks for the response.
    Did some testing thinking it was EMI.
    Ran 40min G-code No material (particle board), No Router, No Dust = Completed
    Ran 40min G-code No material (particle board), YES Router, No Dust = Completed
    Ran 40min G-code No material (particle board), YES Router, YES Dust = Completed
    Ran 40min G-code YES material (particle board), YES Router, YES Dust = Failed

I had my Jog speed setting 100% so decreased to 50% = Mostly Completed (motors warm/hot touch) up to where tool path changed to deeper cut.

Figure I was getting too much draw from the one or more of the motors and that hit a fail safe in the program.
    I have this in an unheated garage and originally set up the 1010 in winter months 2022. I think the aluminum has slightly expanded and made the motors work harder to move the carriage. My tool setting had not changed or material being cut.

I'll go back and readjust tensions of the wheels on all axis and see how it works.

Thanks again.
    Dan

22. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That sounds as though you need to earth your dust hose - dust rushing through it can build up high levels of static. Run some bare copper wire along the inside and connect it to mains earth at the vac end.

Alex.

23. Dopenbuild

Builder

Update:
    1. Checked and loosened roller guides on all axis. Had one set on both X and Y that felt tight.
    2. My dust collector hose has a wire stiffener (McMaster Clear Blo-R-Vac Duct Hose, for Wood Chips and Plastic Pellets, 1-1/4" ID/5718K69) so I used the existing wire and grounded it to the power supply.
    Ran 40 min Goode again and it completed the file.
    The motors felt significantly cooler and felt near ambient temperature.

conclusions:
    I think the controller disconnecting was a fault of static discharge. But also needed to loosen my guides to save motors from heating up.
    Thanks again for your help Alex and Peter.

Alex Chambers likes this.
  24. ewr2san

ewr2san New
    Builder

Awesome. I've got a TS-30 and I'm debating whether to re-use the existing spindle or replace it with a modern PWM spindle with a more standard collet set.
    Currently mapping buttons, LED, and endstop wires and other connections. A link to your shift register code would be nice. With the price of a nano being so cheap that's a great solution.

25. cristo

cristo New
    Builder

Hello fellow builders!

I am working on a small 3D-printed drawing machine with the purpose of using it to teach kids about CNC-machines.

The hardware is a Arduino Uno with GRBL 1.1f controlling 28BYJ-48 stepper motors driven by ULN2003A.

My problem is that when I run the setup in UGS the motors are moving in the wrong direction and ticking the box "Reverse Direction" does not change the direction.

I have tried rebooting, reuploading etc etc. Problems still persist :(
    I also tried different configurations of the #3 setting.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Regards,
    Christopher

26. Peter Van Der Walt

Since standard Grbl doesn't support drivers like ULN2003, which fork of Grbl are you using? Perhaps they broke the $3 implementation and you'd have to fix it in wiring?

27. cristo

cristo New
    Builder

Hello Peter. Thanks for helping out. I am using a Grbl version that should be configured to work with the stepper motor. It does not specify ULN2003, but I assumed it since this Grbl configuration was provided with the hardware as a DIY kit. You can see the Grbl here:
    1.Open source code - Google Drive

The readme states:

#GRBL 28byj-48

This is a modified fork from ruizivo/GRBL-28byj-48-Servo. This modification implements all 3-axises XYZ to a 28BYJ-48 stepper motor.

The motors (28byj-48) are connected to a controller card (Arduino UNO) that uses the chip ULN2003. This board is connected to pins A0, A1, A2, A3 for the Y-Axis(IN4->IN1), 2, 3,4,5 Digital pins to the X-Axis(IN4->IN1), and 8,9,12,13 to the Z-Axis(IN4->IN1).

This work was derived from:
    See GitHub - ruizivo/GRBL-28byj-48-Servo: GRBL 0.9j to control unipolar motors (28byj-48) plus Servo motor support

#GRBL 28byj-48 + Servo Motor

This GRBL uses an ugly hack to control two motors unipolar steps as 28byj-48 and also supports a servo motor on pin 11

The motors (28byj-48) are connected to a controller card that uses the chip ULN2003. This board is connected to pins A0, A1, A2, A3 for the Y axis and 2,3,4,5 digital pins to the axis X. The servomotor connected to pin 11 h.

Credits to robottini who did support the servo motor ... link to git GitHub - robottini/grbl-servo: grbl 0.9i with Servo motor support

28. Peter Van Der Walt

That is non-standard and from GitHub - TGit-Tech/GRBL-28byj-48: Grbl ver 1.1f.20170131 with XYZ Unipolar Stepper Support (28byj-48)

You may need to ask Issues · TGit-Tech/GRBL-28byj-48 for advice then - the fork's author should know

According to Motor direction reverse not working: solution · Issue #3 · TGit-Tech/GRBL-28byj-48 someone else found $3 not to work properly. I'd probably just fix the wiring (invert the coils order)

29. cristo

cristo New
    Builder

I will have a look and the implementation mentioned regarding $3 setting. Or just change the wiring :) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

30. GS76

GS76 Well-Known
    Builder

To whom it may concern:

Is it possible in GRBL G-code to have a message issued to the user?

The message is issued in a pop-up window and then upon pressing the "ok" button the g-code program continues.

And/or

Could a message be given in the g-code and the g-code program continues after a certain amount of time?

Not sure if this is possible. I am using the OpenBuild control software with the OpenBuilds x32 controller box.

Thanks again for the help.