Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ask Grbl CNC questions here.

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Sonny Jeon, Aug 12, 2015.

1. John Hill

John Hill New
    Builder

Thanks, I will use bidirectional comms.

2. NeoSamuel

NeoSamuel New
    Builder

Hello everyone, I have a makerbase mks dlc32 which uses Grbl. Unfortunately, both Y-axis motors run on one driver, so the full power cannot be accessed.

So I'm looking for a way to make the unused z-axis a clone of the y-axis.

Is it possible to do this in Grbl and if so, could I get detailed instructions for it?

3. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Hardware, not software. Split out the step/dir/ena lines from the single Y axis to the Z axis driver as well. Now it's another Y axis. If you need the motor direction reversed because the two motors are mounted symmetrically, just flip the wiring direction of one of the coils of one of the motors.

Jason Moore likes this.
  4. NeoSamuel

NeoSamuel New
    Builder

Is there a manual or a video to see how it's done?

I'm pretty new at cnc.

5. Jason Moore

Builder

Depending on board layout physical change may be easier, however you can also edit pin assignments in grbl.

6. Jason Moore

Builder

As an edit, i also believe that most boards that use dual drivers for z or y for example do it electronically. Of the top of my head thinking you can just tap onto step and dir pins and cut z traces. You will have to verify but i believe enable usually is not implemented "correctly", its just shorted. For ex

7. NeoSamuel

NeoSamuel New
    Builder

Either one or the other way, I need to know how I could do it.

8. Jason Moore

Builder

Find pinout of motor driver online. Then figure out which pins are dir, step and enable. Verify if enable is actually used or just shorted(i believe to ground) if not used then On z cut traces on dir/step, then jumper each from existing y to old z drive. Check spin direction and if not correct swap one pair of coil wires on z so it moves correctly.... of enable is not grounded and is actually traced back to a pin on mcu then cut z trace and jumper it as well....... this is pretty much what i said before, maybe a little more step by step...

9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Unless someone has the exact same machine with the same controller and is doing the same thing, there are unlikely to be step by step guides. You need to learn how the general principle works, then apply that knowledge to your specific problem. That's how all of hobby engineering and electronics works.

I described the two stages in enough detail to get a pretty solid start on Google without too many missteps or false positives, but unless you actually know the general basics of 1) how grbl works and its I/O, 2) how stepper drivers work and their I/O, and 3) how stepper motors work and how they're wired, opening up a machine isn't a great idea *even with* step by step guides. Things can and do go wrong, and you have to be able to observe and diagnose on the fly.

If you run into a *specific* issue and struggle to diagnose it, people are available to help with that, but this is a bit of a "how to do my entire homework" problem.

Jason Moore likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Alternative: Consider a "beginner friendly" CNC controller: docs:blackbox-x32:start [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Which already has Dual Y motor support with seperate drivers built in - by default (also massively stronger drivers than the little 3D printer drivers on your current board)

David the swarfer likes this.
  11. Jason Moore

Builder

Best idea yet..... I know i use the prev version of black box and it works great.... At some point i may try x32..... I would like to not only use it but run it thru its paces on my various machines. Plasma table, cnc lathe, cnc table.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. ca. 280

ca. 280 New
    Builder

Hate to ask such a basic question, but; My CNC is grbl controlled installed on an UNO.
    When I download a Gcode file from Vectric to my Open Builds controller is the file
    loaded on to the UNO, like a normal Arduino sketch, or does the controller send the
    code, one line at a time, to the UNO??

13. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

14. ca. 280

ca. 280 New
    Builder

15. ca. 280

ca. 280 New
    Builder

Are there grbl compatible boards other than the UNO with more flash memory??
    Apparently grbl uses 92% of the UNO's memory and triggers a warning "low memory
    available, stability problems may occur". Their is a larger capacity UNO but it has wi-fi
    which I don't really want.
    Thanks

16. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

There are several board running grblHAL that have significantly more memory. Check out the Openbuilds BlackBox [edit] My response was silently edited by someone who is not me to say that I recommend an open builds product.[/edit]

#1516 phil from seattle, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

The Uno works fine. The reason why grbl -- using the Uno -- only runs 3 axis and can not do tool changes automatically is because of the lack of memory. That is why the Blackbox X32 came out. More memory so more features. They are great with excellent customer support and plug and play. However, if you are only running a 3 axis machine, the Uno will work just fine. It is just nearly at memory capacity. My original CNC machine I built in 2016 has been running just fine on an Uno and DM542a stepper drivers OpenBuilds used to sell "pre-BlackBox."

Gary Caruso likes this.
  18. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

this is not a problem for GRBL as it has been tested thoroughly on the Uno.

The new Blackbox X32 uses the ESP32 processor which has a lot more memory, and wifi, and more speed.
    This runs the grlblHAL firmware which is the 'new' GRBL which replaces the old GRLB for the Uno (and the new GRBL will not run on the Uno).
    There are a variety of boards that grblHAL supports, each with its own features and benefits and downsides.

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  19. ca. 280

ca. 280 New
    Builder

Thanks everyone.

20. annas_DT

annas_DT New
    Builder

Hello ? I am using grbl 1.1 with stm32f407 of thomas project and controlled with grbl plotter software but I have some errors like:. Can anyone help me ?
    upload_2023-3-10_20-8-28.png

21. TomTom Mick

Builder

Hello All,
    Im almost complete with my first plasma table for my metal shop. I have chosen to use the Blackbox 32 for the controller.

I have customers that send me drawing packs with DXF, NC and NC1 files. If I upload their NC or NC1 files into the Openbuilds controller, it does not read it correctly. I'm assuming this is due to the NC1 file is being exported from Mastercam and they do not export with grbl post process.

Is there anything I can do on my end to take the NC or NC1 files they give me and convert or change them to run on my controller without having to run the DXF's through CAM again?

I have attached a sample code from my customer.

Attached Files:

• pa600.nc
      File size:
      331 bytes
      Views:
  22. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Correct, you need to use a Grbl compatible CAM/Post: docs:software:overview [OpenBuilds Documentation]

23. David the swarfer

ya, that is not even Gcode as I know it (-:
    you or they will have to use a GRBL postprocessor to generate the correct gcode.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  24. TomTom Mick

Builder

That's what I thought. So there is no way to take this file and "modify" it for grbl as it is? Basically, there isn't a program to open it and post-process it again with grbl, if that makes sense.

I would have to run the DXF files through CAM again on my own, and post-process it with grbl correct?

25. David the swarfer

yes, you will have to process the dxf's. quite simple with cam.openbuilds.com (-:

26. TomTom Mick

Builder

27. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Hi all, I have an MKS DLC32 v2.0 running the MKS version of GRBL_esp and TMC2209 motor drivers.

One thing that I can’t for the life of me figure out, is how to set the current on these drivers as they have no trimpot.

I’m sure current is limiting my speeds as the nema17 42mm motors stall out under load @ 1,500mm/m and I’m sure they can go faster than that. I’m using 1/8 micro stepping configured via the jumpers on the controller.

Is there a GRBL version of Marlins M907 to set motor current?

28. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I don't think you can set the amps in GRBL.
    Why don't you try out one of the non TMC drivers and set the higher current, just to see if it will make a difference in the speed.

On the other hand, you really need a silent stepper on a CNC machine? The only time I hear the stepper is when I jog, which is almost next to nothing compared to the time the machine runs. Once I cut stuff it's so loud, the bit cutting and the vacuum running (I have a spindle that is by far not as loud as a router), I don't hear the stepper at all.

dJOS_500 likes this.
  29. terjeio

terjeio Well-Known
    Builder

Both GRBL_esp and grblHAL allows setting the current for SPI or UART controlled Trinamic drivers. However, the MKS DLC32 v2.0 board is not wired for that.
    Anyway, it should be possible to set the current by trimpot. E.g. the Watterot TMC2209 drivers has the trimpot on the underside of the PCB, there is a small hole near the VM pin for accessing it. Check the datasheet for the brand you have, they might not be configured/configurable for standalone mode. If so, IMO, they are not suitable for the MKS DLC32.

dJOS_500 likes this.
  30. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks gents, mine came with the 2209’s but I do have some 5160’s with trim pots I can swap in.

edit: is there a good guide on how to set the current manually via trim pots? I’ve always had software configurable drivers via Klipper in my 3D printers.

#1530 dJOS_500, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023