Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ask Grbl CNC questions here.

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Sonny Jeon, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jason Moore

Builder

Def sounds like grbl and the machine are set up oposite. One is Cartesian and the other as corexy.

LUCYSKY likes this.
  2. Jason Moore

Builder

What is the machine you bought?

3. LUCYSKY

LUCYSKY New
    Builder

ISSUE SOLVED:

I had to uncomment "#define COREXY // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable" within config.h and flash again the arduino. Now it moves as expected.

Thank you everyone for your patience!

Jason Moore likes this.
  4. Jason Moore

Builder

Did you modify homing sequence..... the default i believe does not correctly with corxy..... default as i recall is x&y home simultaneously, where as there is an option which i prefer regardless is x homes byitself after z of course then y each individually.

5. LUCYSKY

LUCYSKY New
    Builder

I have not yet modified the homing sequence, will look into it. Thanks

Jason Moore likes this.
  6. Jason Moore

Builder

Did you get the alarm situation ironed out...... that can be related to a Homing setting as well. Its letting you know machine hasnt been home since machine boot up. This can be changed or do autohome on start. (Which i dont do and on some machines may be un advisable).

7. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

That doesn't make much sense. In order to move diagonally, you must activate 2 motors at once. To move in a straight line, you only activate 1 motor. Pushing the left, right, up or down jog controls should only be activating one motor, not 2. The diagonal jog buttons should activate both motors.

You may have some of the motors wired up to go the wrong direction, or plugged into the wrong drivers. You can use the GRBL settings to reverse motor direction for each motor individually. You may also have the X and Y motor connections reversed, Ie X motor wired to Y output.

MG

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its a coreXY machine. Both motors must move for staight moves. If a single motor moves, it does go diagonally. He is already past that though, by compiling Grbl with CoreXY enabled.
    Is correct, the config.h section on Homing shows how to change it. Disable Z, then do X, then Y (not X and Y at the same time)

9. krazeekirk

Builder

Hi,
    I am upgrading my Xcarve controller to Open Builds Blackbox and Interface system. I would like to know if someone can guide me on importing the old GRBL settings from my old controller to the Blackbox so I can get up an running. Fairly new to this, but willing to learn with the right instructions. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you for your time.

10. Jason Moore

Builder

Do you have acess to the original config.h
    If not Id hit $$ on control panel with original controller. Take a pic. Then $$ again with black box connected and adjust as needed.

krazeekirk likes this.
  11. krazeekirk

Builder

Jason,
    I will try this will be the first time doing something like this so I am really new. I appreciate your reply and will try to see if I could locate that config.h file you are referring to.

12. krazeekirk

Builder

So I believe that I have all the grbl settings, can you assist me on importing them in to Openbuild software?

13. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

if you run OBControl with the old controller connected and do a settings backup, disconnect that, connect the BB, and restore the backup, should be easiest.
    upload_2022-10-14_8-27-35.png

after the restore, make sure $4=1 otherwise the BB will not enable the drivers.

14. krazeekirk

Builder

Thank you so much for your time guys!!! I will for these instructions and report back. Still wiring up CNC,after I'll have to look for some videos on learning GRBL!

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Skip the often misinformed and guesswork filled videos and rather read Home · gnea/grbl Wiki - every page in that Wiki has valuable, accurate information

krazeekirk and David the swarfer like this.
  16. krazeekirk

Builder

Thank you very much Peter definitely will start to looking at the Wiki!

I got the Xcarve Blackbox conversion completed today, loaded the back up GRBL file from my old controller and set $4 to 1. Everything seems to be functioning correctly and homes correctly, but when I open the Openbuilds CAM G-Code generator I get a Popup Screen that is asking to Set up my controller. I am not sure which machine to select or the other settings for my Xcarve machine, any ideas?

Attached Files:

17. Jason Moore

Builder

Someone can correct me if im wrong. But i believe those machine options are just preset for easy fill in of dimensions and perhaps home location..... I would think you can do a custom machine or selct one the overide x y z lengths etc... worth a try.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Presets just populates the fields below for our Machines. Pick any similar one, scroll down and fix anything that needs fixing (working area etc)

Jason Moore and krazeekirk like this.
  19. krazeekirk

Builder

Thank you I will play around with the fields!

20. krazeekirk

Builder

So I pretty much have my settings dialed in via the OB Control software, I home, zero out XYZ and test if it will return and it does. Yet when I am using the interface, I will home the CNC, set the zero and when select the Goto XYZ zero it gives me an alarm: Alarm Code: 2 Target Exceeds Machine Travel. I checked my X&Y and they are set to 750mm. This doesn't happen via the OB Control Software so I am a bit confused. On a side note I upgraded the Stepper motors to OB high torque motors but when the machine is idle is makes loud humming and other noises, is that normal? I don't recall that on the original stepper motors, thanks for your help in advance!

Update I am now getting the same alarm in OB Control

Attached Files:

#1490 krazeekirk, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  21. Peter Van Der Walt

That means your Soft Limits or Homing is setup incorrectly.

1) make sure jogs follow cartesian directions
    2) use $23 to tell grbl where your switches are located (not which way to move)
    3) configure Max Travel properly

krazeekirk likes this.
  22. krazeekirk

Builder

Thank you Peter I will definitely look at those and hopefully figure it out. Also, can you assist me in finding my steps/mm for the NEMA 23? I looked up some info and watched a video but when it comes to math I such, I would just like to ensure I am entering the correct value. The Xcarve GRBL settings have the steps/mm for the original motors that came with it. Thank you

23. David the swarfer

no math needed, just use the wizard in OBControl (-:

but if you really need the math, go here

krazeekirk likes this.
  24. krazeekirk

Builder

Alrighty, I will check it out David, Thank you !

25. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Steps/mm are determined by your micro stepping settings and the pitch of the thread on your leadscrews (which will not be perfectly accurate - hence the need to calibrate).
    Motors will only affect it if the step angle is different. If I read your earlier posts correctly you are upgrading an X-carve machine? It is unlikely that it used motors with a different step angle.
    Whatever, calibration using the wizard will sort it.
    Alex.

krazeekirk likes this.
  26. krazeekirk

Builder

Hey Alex,
    Yes I have upgraded my Xcarve using OpenBuilds BlackBox, Interface, Limit Switches and upgraded the Stepper Motors to OB NEMA 23. It is driven by a 9 mm belt with a 20 tooth pulley, thanks.

27. David the swarfer

you can use GRBL settings calculator to get initial numbers for the belts, but then do at least 2 calibration cycles

krazeekirk likes this.
  28. krazeekirk

Builder

Tha
    Thanks a lot David!
    I will look at this and attempt to get it filled out correctly. I am just a beginner so you know how it can be!

29. John Hill

John Hill New
    Builder

This is a GRBL question and really nothing to do with CNC!

The story is I am building a replica 'Link Trainer' which is a type of flight simulator of the WWII era. All the electronics etc are in the dummy cockpit module and that is all mounted on a vertical spindle which is driven by a stepper motor on the base unit. I want to avoid tangled wires etc and have decided a wireless link between the cockpit and the base unit but the wireless link I have on hand is one way only!

So, the question is "Does GRBL require two way communications on the serial(USB) link when executing GCode moves?"

30. David the swarfer

yes
    read the grbl wiki github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki about communicating with GRBL
    I would tend toward a pair of ESP8266's for bidirectional comms.