Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Strong OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Hytech2k, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Nugz likes this.
  2. Nugz

Nugz New
    Builder

@Hytech2k
    Looking good so far bud! Can't wait to see your other upgrades. She looks like a work horse already! :thumbsup:
    -Nugz

#2 Nugz, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  3. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

This looks great and look forward to watching the progress.

4. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

I like it. Surprised you arent using open rail, as I thought you may have problems with dust and debris interfering with fine engraving. Those side plates look super meaty :D

Edit** i obviously didnt look to hard, open rail it is! Haha

#4 SlyClockWerkz, Dec 9, 2014
  5. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

LOL, I think Openrail is the way to go, less issues with with sawdust.. I'm thinking the side plates might be 1/2 plate and 3/8 for the x axis... The HUGE improvement will be the true rack and pinion, eliminate the problems with stretch, deflection and debris fouling the belt. The rack and spur gears I ordered came in today but were the wrong ones, looked like they would be for a toy, reordered and hopefully have a working prototype plate put together soon. Did get some proper shoulder bolts and 2 different bushings (Oilite and Super Oilite) for the stepper drive plates. I'm getting ready to cut out the side plates and the X gantry carriage plates tonight... I'll post some photos when I get the done..

#5 Hytech2k, Dec 9, 2014
  6. Richard Cohen

Builder

very, very, cool!! could you be kind enough to give me some info on the phenolic such as where to buy it and cost? would be very appreciated.

yours,
    rich cohen

7. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I'm just using the phenolic to prototype my plates, these won't be on a cutting machine, just to check fit and operation. I brown plates are a CE (Canvas laced) Phenolic and the green is G10. I get it from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/norvaplastics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Good prices I think and they combine shipping...

I believe I paid $12.00 for a 12x12 .375 CE and $10 for the 12x12 G10

Jamestat2 likes this.
  8. SlyClockWerkz

SlyClockWerkz Well-Known
    Builder

Msc or mcmaster might be a good place to look as well :D

9. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I get alot from McMasters, good selection but wow G10 1/4 12x12 sheet 36.75 lol, i'll stick with 12.00 for my Ebay guy... I don't mind offcuts... But the XX Garolite wasn't too bad... :)

**edit.... sorry I miss spoke, the CE grade i'm using is 32.51 at McMaster, 10 bucks on Ebay.....

10. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

Where did you get the Rack and pinions?

I keep circling back to wanting them, but then the price just keeps jumping to high...

11. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

McMaster Carr, I'll have to fashion a mount for them but it shouldn't be to hard... The spur gears are the hard part to find in sizes for my steppers.. Misumi came through for those..

12. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

13. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

CNC router parts has rack clamps that are pretty neat, i'm just not sure they will fit the vslot extrusions....

14. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have been contemplating JB Welding some rack onto a backer bar of matching thickness to where I have enough width to drill mounting holes. Any thoughts?

rack.jpg

The sketch is based on 1/4" 24DP rack with a 1/4 x 1/2 mild steel backer. I figure 24DP should be good enough for the small system I'm working up.

Mark Carew likes this.
  15. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I'm going in about the same direction, I'm using 1/4" x 1/4" 24 pitch 14.5 degree pressure rack for the gantry and 1/2" x 1/2" 20 pitch 20 degree pressure rack for the Y. I'm also attaching them to backers but 3/4" wide 1/8" thick steel. My attachment method is to drill 7/16" holes every 6" through the backer directly behind where the rack will be placed, i'm having a local welding shop MIG weld the rack to the backer from the backside through the hole. So basically it will be spot welded every 6" along it's length with no welds showing from the front. Then have a second set of holes drilled to mount to the extrusion via bolts and t-nuts. Hopefully, that's the plan.

#15 Hytech2k, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  16. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

Hey that is pretty inventive. I might have to add my new circuit in sooner, the 20 amp one I have now is not going to cut it, my poor 110 welder pops the breaker way to often. I have a 220 about 10 feet from where I need it, I plan on extending that for a new 220 welder and splitting it for a solid high amp 110. I have some perfect 3/4 .125 angle iron already on my shelf...

Are you worried at all about distortion? it seems like it should not distort much if any as long as the welding is not done with to much heat.

--Paul

17. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Don't go accusing me of be inventive. :) I'm not too worried about distortion too much, they can put a wet rag on either side of the weld to keep it cool. The large rack is .5 x .5 so I think it could handle the heat, but the little one might need to be tig'ed...

18. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

Hey I found these 1/2" X 1/2" Rack clamps at https://www.finelineautomation.com/products/rack-clamps (PA USA) this is a site that has a lot of similar parts as CNCRouterParts (WA stat USA) so appears to be comparable quality mechanical s.

They are made for 1530 and 3030 extrusions, but they do have a multiple formats of tech drawings. I have not looked at them as I am at work.

19. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

LOL when you click the link to read the PDF it kicks you over to cncrouterparts and opens.... Fineline either distributes for cncrouterparts or is another branch. But looking over the PDF dimensions they won't fit, the tab that locks in the extrusion is .320 wide, I put the calipers on mine and come up with .2455... BUT a crafty fellow could resize that clamp to fit a .25 wide slot, incorporate the 60 degree V to match the v-slot profile, and make the holes smaller for M5 hardware. :)

20. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Now looking over their site it's mostly all cncrouterparts products, must be a distributor or something...

21. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yeah, they are using a lot of the same pictures. The one item that is different is their rack. They offer it pre-drilled and countersunk to where clamps are not necessary.

22. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

They used to offer that same rack, back when I bought my drives from them they carried it, but now have changed to rack mounted on a pre drilled backer... They change quite often, I'm probably on REV 4 or 5 of the Pro Drives....

23. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

After posting I looked some more, and they are almost identical, though the fineline site sells the flat steel for the basic series types on CNC router parts. I did not look close enough to see that both sites were so close to the same.

Their kits are a bit different, with CNC Router Parts having higher priced better quality machines. Well at least another place that has kits, though still might be out of the price range needed. I ma leaning more and more towards the kits as I get so bogged down in the design details, each step just improving things a "little" bit, then end up WAY outside my price range..;) pretty sure that is a common issue here.

24. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I looks alot like Fineline has alot of the older products cncrouterparts used to carry... It's like the outlet store for cncrouterparts older discontinued items..

25. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Whipped these prototypes up real quick, they fit the Misumi extrusion just fine but the locating tabs are to tight for the 8020 metric extrusions and I still have to add a chamfer and fool with the depths to adjust it to fit the V slot extrusions... But coming right along, probably have it worked out by the end of the day... Oh and this one is designed for 1/4 x 1/4 rack... I'm using them on my gantry to hold the 24 pitch rack I have on hand.. I'll be doing another for 1/2 x 1/2. proof 1 Misumi.jpg IMG_8050.JPG IMG_8051.JPG IMG_8052.JPG

sgspenceley, pmany, GrayUK and 2 others like this.
  26. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

Looks good! where do you get your aluminum for milling?

27. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Ebay usually, I have a few people who sell remnants with free shipping...

28. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

29. poopdeckpappy-

Builder

Have you ever used signfoam instead of wood to cut your signs? Might not be as
    hard on the machine depending on what density you use. As far as the debris goes it may
    not make any difference.

Charlie

30. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

I'm using a good dust shoe and large dust collector now so debris is not so much of an issue anymore. At the price point I sell my signs, HDU isn't really an option. Plus my customers are looking for that rustic country look, hard to get from signboard. I cut at good speeds and feeds on my bigger machine, the little one needs to keep up otherwise I'll have to do custom toolpaths for every sign I make, and that just won't work.

#30 Hytech2k, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014