Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Are protruding bearings on Solid V Wheel a problem?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ljp, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ljp

ljp New
    Builder

Hi,

I just received my Ooznest Workbee and I'm in the process of putting it together. I noticed that bearings do not fit the same way on all Solid V Wheels. On about 10 of them, the bearing sticks out about 1mm, or the thickness of the shim. Is this going to cause issues down the line, like uneven wear, precision issues or something else?

I tried hammering one of the wheels with a rubber hammer to see if that would help, but it made no difference. My guess is the ridge between the bearings is of varying thickness.

So I'm wondering whether it's wise to continue with the build, or stop and wait for replacements.[​IMG]

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

There's a shim fitted in the centre (between) the bearings - almost sounds like some have 2 shims in there by mistake. You definitely don't want to install them if they stick out like that.

Chillimonster and ljp like this.
  3. ljp

ljp New
    Builder

You're right, a few of them did have 2 shims. I removed them and that fixed it. Some still stick out a fraction of a mm more than others, but I've double checked and there are no extra shims in them. I assume that's ok.

Thanks a lot!

Chillimonster likes this.
  4. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Well, should be OK, just check their position on the C beam v slots when assembling. Maybe also let ooznest know what you found.

5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Don't hit them with anything.. press them together with two flat surfaces, like a table and a small plywood board. Some can take a bit of force to fully seat.
    Cheers