Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Anyone using their Z axis when engraving

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by rikkkk, Oct 2, 2019.

1. rikkkk

rikkkk New
    Builder

Hello

Is anyone using their Z axis when engraving. I mean, not pre engraving to set focus, but during the engraving process. I have some curved surfaces that I'd like to engrave. I know that you can easily add a A axis for round object like bottles and mugs etc. But in my case I have some 2,5D wood made on my CNC that I'd like to engrave.

Is the lack implementations of Z movement during engraving that most ppl don't find it useful or is there any other reasons? Or maybe my google skills sucks today? =)

Best regards
    Rickard

sharmstr likes this.
  2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

A curved surface is 3D, not 2.5D. How drastic is the curve? If it's just a millimeter or so, you can use a spring loaded engraver. If the curve is greater, you'll need to know the actual surface in whatever CAD/CAM program you are using.

EDIT:
    Oops, thought this was the Router/Mill Forum. The 3D statement still stands though.

#2 Kevon Ritter, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

the bCNC GUI includes the ability to probe and then follow a curved surface.

4. rikkkk

rikkkk New
    Builder

Well, usually 3 axis machines are referred to as 2,5D as you can't machine the back of the stock (to obtain full 3d). Anyways, I hand modded my mill engraving to work with my laser engraving. Still a bit confused about how basal most laser posts are.

Rgds
    Rickard