Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Anybody ever use a Chromebook...

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by gregers05, Mar 12, 2019.

1. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

...to run your CNC?

About to pull the trigger on a Lead 1010, however the only laptop we have is a chromebook. I usually use that or my work computer. Work computer is out, as I cant download software on it without IT access.

I have a desktop that is fairly built that I will probably be doing most of my design work and heavy lifting on. My work computer also has Solidworks on it, so that will also serve design purposes as well.

So, that leaves me needing a computer to run and connect to the Lead. Chromebooks are awesome for light duty, long battery life, light and easy to move around, and compact. However, it does not appear any of the openbuilds (or much of any other CNC related software for that matter) is compatible with Chrome OS.

What options do I have? Trying to keep cost pretty low as I am already dumping money to buy the Lead. I was looking at picking up a used Surface Pro 3 or a 2-1 laptop. It would be nice to have touchscreen.

What do yall use?

Patrician likes this.
  2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I have an Acer 2-in-1 notebook with Windows 10 and touchscreen that may be suitable for running CNC machine and software but be sure to disable all power-saving features, especially USB ports and keep it plugged into wall outlet.

Patrician and gregers05 like this.
  3. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I think it might be tough to find control software for Chromebook, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Google or maybe even searching this forum might shed some light.

As far how much power you need, I'm using a raspberry pi and OB Control on my workbee. So, you dont need much. It will all depend on what software you want to use.

gregers05 likes this.
  4. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks guys. Did a search in here and didnt find anything related to running a Chromebook. However, searching google, it looks like some people are dual-booting their chromebooks and running linux to run the software. This is something I have considered in the past for various reasons, however, I am thinking I am trying to over complicate things for my first CNC build. I will probably bite the bullet and get a cheap 2 in 1 or a used surface pro.

sharmstr likes this.
  5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I am not saying to go all in and build this control box, but here is a build where Christian Knull - creator of Estlcam - used a cheap Chinese Windows Tablet. Controller console with touch screen and keyboard I had considered buying one for myself, but my old laptop keeps on going. Also, about every weekend, Frye's electronics seems to be selling 11 inch screen laptops for a little over $100 with Windows 10. I need Windows because I use Estlcam. I have a Surface Tablet and love it except for the single usb port. That is what has prevented me from buying myself one.

gregers05 likes this.
  6. gregers05

gregers05 Well-Known
    Builder

Ill keep an eye on Frys. I guess I dont necessarily need a touchscreen, but seems like it would be nice to have. Good point on the single USB port of the surface, however I guess you could just get a USB hub to plug into that.