Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

another newbie begging for assistance :)

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Kevin Hawkins, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

evening all, thanks for allowing me access, hoping i come to the right place, i recently got stitched up with a vico cnc machine, now know not to go there again, but after sinking over £1400 into a cnc kit, then a further £400 to replace missing parts i am at a total loss about the electronic side of things, they guys at ooznet are helpful to a degree but, unfortunately i am as in tune with electrics as i am as being a neurosurgeon :) if i can find someone willing to assist me with the components i have and how to connect them, thats hoping no more bits are on the missing list i would be a very happy chappie, oh 1 other thing i am as green as the grass with all this stuff so lay-mans terms and bucket loads of patience would be an advantage , i blame my old age ! thanks in advance cheers kev

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

More info please @Kevin Hawkins - is it a copy of the workbee, is it leadscrew driven, what controller did you get with it?
    We try to help everyone here if we can and someone may have experience with the kit you have.
    Alex.
    Sadly I think the workbee from Ooznest would have been cheaper.

#2 Alex Chambers, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  3. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

hi and thanks, have since found out it is a chinese copy of workbee 1000x1000 that vico cnc were selling last year, it is screw driven, x y z axis 4 motors, as for controller i have 3 parts will list them 1/ ryc tb6600-t4 i assume to be stepper motor controller , meanwell lrs-350-24 power supply, no mains connection / plug, another smaller controller stb5100 with a cd mini disc , an emergency stop button 1 ribbon cable and a few short lengths of wire hope that helps as means nothing to me at the moment, dont know if i can upload pictures here but will try

4. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

hope these images upload fingers crossed

Attached Files:

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Here is a link where you can download the manual for your controller card.

I don't know much about this controller myself, but I'd be surprised if someone on here isn't able to help.

STB5100 USB Motion Card

Alex.

Kevin Hawkins likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Consider replacing it with the MUCH easier and well documented (just checkout docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox) : BlackBox Motion Control System
    - More people that know the BlackBox, around here, to help when you get stuck
    - Great documentation: https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox
    - Wiring videos on https://www.youtube.com/user/OpenBuilds/search?query=blackbox
    - Can even use it without a computer: See https://docs.openbuilds.com/interface (optional extra)
    - Also treat yourself with better limit switches than what you have now: Xtension Limit Switch Kit for better reliability, easier wiring

7. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

nice idea, but with already being nearly 2k out of pocket already, i need to get this pile of pieces working before wasting any more money

8. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

thank you Mr Chambers

9. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Looks like it's a front for selling you a $50 software license for a CNC control software that's probably pretty terrible. If it comes on the CD for free, I'd at least attempt to use it, that's the cheapest option. If it's not free, or just a demo, or whatever, I totally get this:

... But I would STRONGLY recommend at the very least picking up one of these- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-A000066-ARDUINO-UNO-REV3/dp/B008GRTSV6

It'll work with your TB6600 quad-driver board, once you flash grbl to it it'll be the closest thing you can get to a BlackBox for 20 quid. Everyone here can help with grbl- I also have it running on an Uno, I'm sure several other people do too, and the BlackBox is internally an Uno running grbl, so BlackBox users can help too. It's a very known quantity, lots of documentation, and will get you up and running pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how many people here know the first thing about "DreufelCNC", tbh. Alex is good about doing some extra research to help out, but you might be on your own out in the weeds on that one.

At least they gave you a decent quality power supply that probably won't catch fire though. That's nice.

10. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

so basically use the power supply, use the controller and dump the stb5100 and replace it with uno ? plus will i need all the wiring as per amazon advert or use what i have (straight plug n play) cheers

11. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

The "STB5100" is the controller. Well, kinda. Here:

- The software on the PC is the controller, reading the G-code, converting it to motion signals, talking to the STB5100.
    - The STB5100 is the USB breakout, takes the motion signals from the PC and sends them to the drivers, takes inputs (like limits) and sends them to the PC
    - The TB6600-T4 is four TB6600 stepper drivers on one board. These take step/direction signals and convert it into the power to drive the motors.

If you move to grbl:

- the sender on the PC reads the g-code and sends it to grbl on the Uno a little bit at a time and lets you interact with it
    - grbl on the Uno is the controller, reads the G-code, converts it to motion signals, and deals with inputs and outputs
    - you still use the TB6600s (assuming they work, should be noisy but fine)

12. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

thanks understand it a little now so basically replace stb5100 with the uno will order one tonight i think to be on safe side cheers

13. Kevin Hawkins

Builder

apologies for any incorrect terminology, it is literally all Chinese to me, but i am learning something new every hour so thanks