Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

AMB 1050-P DI Spindle Problems

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Vincent Lindquist, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Hello

I got my blackbox controller yesterday, and installed it today. With the blackbox I run an AMB 1050-P DI spindle. I have connected it to the 10v on the controller board and it reaches any rpm with no problems. However, as soon as I move an axis the speed drops significantly, almost to a stop and then begins to "pulse". Now the interesting part is that as soon as I measure the voltage output with a multi-meter on the signal cables by the black box controller the spindle becomes stable when I move the axes.

Does anyone here know what the problem could be?

Thanks,
    Vincent

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Loose wiring anywhere getting tugged when machine moves?

Where are you placing the probes, maybe pressing on the terminals thus making contact, on something that was loose earlier?

3. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Thanks for the reply Peter!

There are some loose wires, since I wanted to rule out EMI as much as I could. However I do such small movements with the axes when I test, and the wires are very loose all the time, so I do not believe it could be due to tugging. I do place the probes onto the wires going into the terminals on the controller unit, however I have tried to run the spindle and the axes with the multi-meter turned off but with the probes pressed on the cables and it makes no difference, the spindle still slows down. I have extended the signal cables by soldering on some longer leads, but at the same time it works fine when no exes are moving or when the multi-meter is measuring volts. It feels like the electrical connection with the multi-meter somehow helps the motor stay stable, but I'm not quite sure if that is even possible or how it would work...

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Careful that they don't cause shorts and damage!

How did you do the 0-10v wiring? Pics?
    0-10v wiring running clear of nearby EMI (motor wiring, motors, router power cable, etc) - it is just a weak signal voltage so can be affected by EMI - typically runs to a VFD, but in your case probably a longer run, so be mindful of nearby interference

Could also try adding a 0.1-1uF capacitor nearby the router to smooth the signal

5. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Thanks so much for your help. I ended up shielding the cable with a crude tin foil wrapping to test out the EMI theory and it proved to be correct. After the wrapping I noticed no rpm drop of the spindle. I will order a shielded cable and install that.

Thanks again

Vincent

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Did your spindle not come with shielded cable? I have the 1400 DI, the control wire is shielded for me. I should note that all of my low voltage wiring is grounded shielded alarm wire, 18 gauge, so that is probably reducing EMI escaping.

7. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Nope, the cable is unshielded, so I will probably have to rut it pretty short and attach a new cable and wrap the joint area in foil tape followed by heat-shrink. Really strange considering how many problems VFDs seem to have with EMI.

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Your spindle doesn't use a vfd though - it's a brushed motor running on mains.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Ah, mixing up all the stuff... I'm pretty new to this, thanks for pointing that out :)

10. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

My power wire is not shielded, but the control (3 wire) wire is. Interesting that yours not is. Did you buy it from Midwest Circuitry? I run my power wire completely away from all the others though (I don't have cable management for the high power wires, and no 240 mains plug near the machine, so I have it connected to a 50f extension cable I made that runs to my dryer plug (for some reason whoever built/remodelled the house before I moved it.. put 3 different 240V plugs there).. so I am generally holding the power wire while the machine runs to keep it from eating itself on larger runs.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Build a Swing Arm - good for EMI and prevents cable damage

12. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

I am from Sweden, so I purchased my spindle from dold mechatronik in Germany, since it was a fair amount cheaper there than from Swedish retailers. On my successful test run I did rout the power-cable straight up into the ceiling. After all this I will probably try to keep it that way, since it seems to be creating a lot of issues with lower powered wires. I will have to figure out some form of cable management for the 240V cable

I do understand that the 240V plugs are pretty rare in the US though, so you were really lucky there!

13. Vincent Lindquist

Builder

Thanks Peter, I will definitely get on that project asap, seems like a great way to isolate the mains-power from the signal cable!

14. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Almost every house has at least 1 for Dryers (washers are generally 110V) in the laundry area. My house has a few 220 appliances, and I did the circuit panel replacement, and have a bunch of 220/240 breakers, most wired directly to the appropriate appliances, but I did add a circuit for the garage, I have the conduit, boxes and wire to install a 240V line, I just need to get around to it.