Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Aluminium T-slot alternative?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by kajlo30, Oct 19, 2022.

1. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Yesterday i was checking out the methods of holding down your material on the cnc bed.I came across with the aluminium t slot method.I was thinking maybe you can make your own ''tslot'' for free.Milling the slot into your spoilboard.I wondering if this will work.Whats your thoughts on this? tslot alternative.jpg

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would not bother. I spent a week drilling and fitting blind nuts and never used them and have since replaced that spoil board.
    a) the masking tape and CA glue method is what I use most
    b) when that won't work, I just drill into the spoil board and put screws through the material into the spoil board. This can leave little bumps so now and then I smooth it off with a chisel.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Internally, all of us as well

docs:tips:ca-glue [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Lifechangingly convenient.

With slots the slot is always either too far away, or too close, or makes it hard to surface the spoilboard, or causes a small cutout to drop in and get lost. Frustrating :)

Giarc likes this.
  4. aixpower

aixpower New
    Builder

I have prepared 4 screen printing plates (Siebdruckplatte) and installed drive-in-nuts in 80mm distances Using the press down brackets I can span the stock. Of course, if the stock is getting too large, then it might bulge in the middle. But for firmer stock like 10mm POM, it is working very good for me. mounting-area.jpg

#4 aixpower, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    kajlo30 and David the swarfer like this.
  5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Really depends on what you are cutting, everybody will have a preferred method based on the use case.
    In my case I have the old spoil board full of threaded inserts and use many hold downs (3d printed) to hold balsa sheeting in place, where it's too delicate to use the tape method.
    Also Marius Hornberger on YouTube is a must watch channel.

Cheers

Attached Files:

6. residentdj

Builder

This guy is a professional engineer who over-engineers everything because he can. On top of his skills, there is so much precision in his work. If he makes coasters, they would probably.automatically adjust to the size of the glass and his signs would change the front size depending on visibility at the time of day

I’m thinking of just drilling a bunch of holes in mine and put nuts in there, perhaps have holes align with pegboard pattern so I can use a piece of that under the work piece so I don’t spoil the spoil board

#6 residentdj, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have tslots. I use them, but as mentioned above they always seem to be to far or too close on ne side of the work piece. I rebuilt my CNC over the holidays and I chose to add them back in, but I may run threaded inserts down the middle of the wood between the t slots only because I have a ton of them from my first spoilboard I ever built. I do find that most of the time I just clamp the profile of the project and run the drilling tool paths. Then using those drilled holes, I screw down the work piece and remove the clamps.