Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Aligning workpiece on CNC machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by IanC, Apr 14, 2019.

1. IanC

IanC New
    Builder

I've got a Workbee CNC (with GRBL + CNCJS), which I'd like to use to cut some holes in an aluminium bed which will be used in a 3D Printer.

I've got a 304x304x8mm cast aluminium bed that is the exact dimensions I need, but I need to get 4 x mount holes aligned right next to either edge of the bed.

What would you recommend I do to align this piece correctly? If it's not aligned perfectly to the X/Y axes then I'll end up with holes drilled incorrectly. I was going to manually jog the machine and draw some temporary lines - which will be reasonable accurate.

Is there a better way? Can I use an XYZ probe and somehow correct for any workpiece skew?

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I use a fine (10 degree) engraving bit to scribe a 100 mm grid on my spoiler board.
    Alex.

3. SpringBob

SpringBob New
    Builder

EstlCam can do this. They offer a very generous full function trial.

Estlcam: 2D / 3D CAM und CNC Steuerung...

Giarc likes this.
  4. IanC

IanC New
    Builder

I like this idea, I think I'll do this! :)
    Thanks, I'm testing EstlCam at the moment as it happens, but only for GCODE generation. Unfortunately, I need to keep the machine running CNCJS. Is there no other way to do this?

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I surface my spoil board and always leave a lip on the y axis edge. I know that when I place material - or spacer blocks to align material- along this edge, it is always parallel to the y axis and perpendicular to the x. You could do the same by attaching some thin material and cutting an L shape or just a parallel strip. It would take about 5 minutes.

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  6. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

bCNC can probe and adjust for alignment... have not tried it myself yet, I just use a square off the edge of the spoil board.