Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Air-blast

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Maxdd, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Maxdd

Maxdd New
    Builder

What are others using for air-blast / air-flow in their systems?

I have trouble finding much information around the internet. A few mention using fish pond pumps but I don't know what power rating would be adequate for this purpose.

I'm looking at experimenting with the following parts:

PUMP: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N2HPW...olid=2S18EZ1VGYGJ0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TUBING: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBSU9E...olid=2S18EZ1VGYGJ0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

NOZZEL: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DXGGP...olid=2S18EZ1VGYGJ0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Is the pump overkill?

Any help, nudge suggestion in the proper direction is appreciated.

Max

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

A diaphragm air pump is going to be noisy - it's basically a buzzer pushing a diaphragm back and forth - make sure spare diaphragms are readily available. Also, although that one looks better than most, they don't tend to be good at pumping at pressure.
    You might be better off using a small compressor - still going to be noisy, but will switch itself off when the tank gets up to pressure.
    Alex.

3. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Good idea - and you can use the airbrush to apply a finish to your projects! :cool: Give it some ventilation though to stop it overheating.
    Alex.

5. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Journeyman
    Builder

Oh yeah, the enclosure would definitely get active air circulation. I plan on having the vacuum and AC enclosed to reduce volume as much as possible, don't want to annoy the neighbors too much (living in an apartment currently so sound is an issue).

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

That is why I chose the airbrush pump for my CO2 laser vs a pond pump. :thumbsup: Two tools in one. I just went with the slightly cheaper Harbor Freight model since I could buy it locally when it was on sale.

If we are discussing for the CNC, I just use my regular air compressor in the garage. It is a larger upright one. I just have to make sure it isn't running on the same circuit as my spindle and vacuum or everything comes to an abrupt halt when the compressor --briefly-- kicks on. Apparently a 15 amp breaker only limits you to 15 amps. Who would have guessed.:duh: My hose is a coiled one suspended from the ceiling above the machine and it is connected to one of these from Amazon. Well worth the $9.99.
    [​IMG]

Here is how I did it if interested. Lead Screw Driven Ox Derivative (850x1500)