Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Advice regarding MPCNC please

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Minnievirginny, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Minnievirginny

Builder

Hello Openbuilds people,

I have recently completed the mechanical construction of a MPCNC. I have received a SKR V1.4 Turbo board which I am hoping to control it with. I downloaded the Openbuilds program and after installing it tried to get my windows 10 system to talk to the SKR board.
    The SKR has latest Marlin installed but Openbuilds is refusing to maintain a USB connection (although it recognises the port OK)
    Am I being overhopeful that this will work or do I need to do something else? I see GRBL mentioned elsewhere but the SKR will not run this software. The connection dialog box informs me: 'no supported firmware detected'
    Any advice would be appreciated and compliments on (what appears to be) a super program and excellent website.
    Thank you for spending the time in looking at this request
    Best regards to all
    Larry

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Marlin is a printing firmware. grbl is a machining- mostly- firmware. The board that'll print the hardware is not the board that you want to run the resulting machine with. As for which board to go with, that really depends on how plug'n'play you want it, what drivers you'd like to use, etc.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder