Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Advice please for new machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DannyDog, Nov 9, 2019.

1. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Hi guys I'm over in the uk so need to look at uk stockists as fed up of taxes from importing and ridiculous carrier charges.

I want a new machine, cutting area around 300x600 ish. So was looking at the cbeam xl. However would the workbee offer more in a custom size or is the cbeam very good? It's mainly woods and plastics I will be cutting, I have a nomad for the metal cutting. Though if it's tough enough I wouldn't be averse to cutting metals on it too.

The problem here is the wait for the workbee is a loonnnggggg one.

I have a mini mill I built so will probably use the blackbox if that's a good way forward too. It's a neat little box.

So any info on best machine to build and places for the parts muchly appreciated guys.

Thank you.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

DannyDog likes this.
  3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You might look through Ooznest's catalog and see if you can find sufficient parts to put together a Lead machine. And as Ooznest will cut extrusion to length you can make it any size you desire. A 600x800 format would cover the area you noted above without taking up an excessive amount of space.

DannyDog likes this.
  4. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Yeah I looked through oozenest. That's where I saw the cbeam xl. I like the workbee but wow what a wait.

5. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Took the plunge and managed to order most of the bits from ooznest for a workbee. Only thing missing I couldnt find was wiring and also the end cap. I have a nomad so is there anywhere I can grab a file or dimensions to make one?

Cheers.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @DannyDog, Ooznest sell the workbee as a complete kit (although they have changed the design recently and use a lot less wheels). If you have bought the kit the wiring comes with it. If you have bought separate bits I'm sure they would be willing to sell you the wiring kit (they use the Duet controller so you might have to change some connectors depending on what controller you plan to use).
    Alex.
    PS - I have designed a better bracket for the fixed end of the Y axis drag chain if you have access to a 3d printer.

Y Drag Chain fixed end mounting bracket

#6 Alex Chambers, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  7. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

I don't have access unfortunately.

I bought separate bits as salvaging black box and stoppers from my mini mill.

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Openbuilds sell the wiring, tried to give you a link but their server had a problem. They do, I believe, post small items which would avoid courier charges and the value should be low enough to avoid import duty. If I remember correctly they do cables with connectors that fit the blackbox and their limit switches.
    Alex.

9. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Cheers Alex. Gonna order some connectors online off amazon and solder or crimp myself.

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Amazon tend to be over priced - try Rapid online or RS online.
    Alex.

11. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

I always forget cpc/farnell and rs. Cheers for the reminder.