Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

ACRO system for top-down videos

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Bruce Denham, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Bruce Denham

Builder

Hi All! I need help on how to use an ACRO system (510 or 55) to create a top-down video rig for recording “macro-style” videos from my printed software diagrams and illustrations. I want to be able to program the rig to follow various bezier paths within the illustrations so that developers can be treated to a closeup “journey” through the data and execution flows of the frameworks I’m explaining.

I’m new to everything involving motion control and especially ACRO systems. So I could really use some help to buy and build the rig I need. Thanks so much. Looking forward to finally solving this decade long dream!

#1 Bruce Denham, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

cool idea!
    I advise you to buy the kit and built it is as per instructions, till you have a working laser engraver.
    Now take one of your drawings and use it to create a laser cut path that follows where you would want the camera to go.
    The laser engraving (on an actual drawing printout) will prove that you are getting what you want.
    Once you can comfortably do that, mount the video camera and have at it (-:
    (you may need to slow down the acceleration rates of the machine to cater for a) the weight of the camera and b) what you want it to look like in the video

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Definitely a cool idea. The success you'll have here is going to depend on the type of video rig you're going to mount to the system. First, there's not much vertical clearance on the Acro system. So depending on the vertical height you need, you may need to come up with a way of raising the Acro system up higher. Either through the use of some custom plates at the 4 corners, or maybe even adding some aluminum extrusion to raise it up some. You will also need to consider the weight of the video rig. The Acro is a fairly light weight motion system. If you try to mount something with a lot of weight to it, you may have some bending or flexing issues. You will also most likely need some sort of custom mounting plate to mount the video rig. Should all be do able. Just wanted to point out some considerations.

4. Bruce Denham

Builder

That’s awesome to know! I’ll buy the 510 and work with that model to have more options for a longer horizontal or vertical journey through the concepts.

So on the camera side of things, I’ve got a small, lightweight, mirrorless Sony a6400 with the two macro lenses to test: a 30mm and a 15mm wide-angle macro. Both can focus at around 0.2” (4.7mm) above the surface, with the wide-angle lens probably giving me the best coverage at that distance (but I’ll have to experiment, of course).

So once I get the 510 setup as a laser engraver, I’ll post again for help on how to go about building a custom video mount. The camera and lens together weigh about 1.8 lbs.

Thanks for confirming this is possible! Exciting news!

#4 Bruce Denham, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    David the swarfer likes this.