Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

ACRO (1010) Laser Build

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by 6of1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 6of1

6of1 New
    Builder

I have been chipping away at this for a bit and it has been going well. Order a little bit, assemble, order some more, assemble, repeat. I have it mostly assembled but now I'm to the things I haven't given much thought until now.

The machine will be a 40x40 Acro (2 axis), 4w Laser & Arduino Uno w/Grbl 1.1 ( and maybe Lightburn )

First topic I am having issues finding info on is endstops and slaved motors...
    On my large CNC that I built years ago I have the Y axis also propelled by dual steppers. Both have their own endstops which I home in Mach3 or UCCNC before every run in order to "square" the machine. My plan was 3 endstops, X, Y&A to zero everything.
    How is squaring done with GRBL, is it the same?

2. 6of1

6of1 New
    Builder

Pic added

Attached Files:

3. Bob Waterfield

Builder

Hello.
    I am building the ACRO 1010 2 axis 3 motors.
    I have Home/Limit switches at the ends of both axis.
    I ran the far Y axis switch wires to the home switch, and from the home switch to my controller.
    Did the same for my X axis.
    I just wanted the extra safety of knowing it would never go but so far on each axis.
    Just waiting for my laser to show up now.

4. syl

syl New
    Builder

@Bob Waterfield what did of shield are you using with your ACRO? I bought the elesksmaker and it has been nothing but trouble.

5. Bob Waterfield

Builder

I went with the Openbuilds/Spark Concepts CNC controller ver4. CNC xPRO V4 Controller Stepper Driver
    I am using lightburn software. So far I am happy with everything.
    I used drag chains on both Y axis and along the top of the X axis. Machine is too big to have those snake cables running all over the place.
    I was using a computer power supply (350 watt) but found out it did not have enough power, so I upgraded to the Openbuilds power supply.12V/29A Meanwell Power Supply Bundle
    I was just about to clean everything up and burn a Grid onto by table when I burned out the Mosfet that drives the laser, this was my fault, had not provided a heat sink for the mosfet. New one should arrive on Monday. Will try to post a pic soon.

6. Bob Waterfield

Builder

Here is a few pictures of my build.
    20190207_232958.jpg 20190210_121949.jpg 20190210_132545.jpg

MFCarew likes this.
  7. 6of1

6of1 New
    Builder

I still don't have any limit switches installed. My main concern is getting the machine to square before I run a project. I am working on getting the machine table, enclosure & ventilation built. Waiting on more parts to come in the mail at the moment.

I got the GRBLDuino Shield because it has screw terminals. I haven't had time for extensive use (machine is in a bunch of pieces right now) but it worked great for the week I had it setup in the garage. I cut a bunch of card stock & cardboard, also did a few grey-scale tests on "birch-like" ply and was pleased :) That was when I realized to use indoors I will have to build a enclosure and vent out a window.

8. Bob Waterfield

Builder

That is where I am at now, trying to build a ventilated enclosure. Its ok for just engraving, not much smoke, but cutting.....you need exhaust.