Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

About to give up!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Ok guys I'm at the end of my tether with this..it all seems to be one step forward and 5 steps back for this newbie after major rewiring and crimping all of my motor cables to the DUET I then lifted up the machine and sorted all the eccentric spacers for all axis.......In the beginning I had everything nice and squared up... The X axis screw is running sweet as a nut lovely sounds as she moves back and forth across the rail...not so much the Y axis which is gravelly and try's to contort itself a few times down its length as if its trying to adjust its alignment in relation to each other.....I have jogged the Y axis to the front end only to find that in relation to the front end plates the right hand side is 30mm to the upright of the x plate and the left side is 40mm ...its totally out of sq. in my estimation hence the battle between the 2 Y motors....any ideas on how to fix this...as I say everything was squared in the beginning of the mechanical build and as for the Z axis well thats just doing its own thing also sounds rough and sometimes I jog it plus and it will rise and if I jog it plus again it will go downward (at one point I had the X and Z homing sweetly)......Needless to say I'm very deflated at the moment as its just been one problem after another..I'm not complaining I just want to be on my merry way as everyone else.......Has anyone go any ideas Please (remember I'm a newbie)
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Colin

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi Colin, Z axis is almost certainly one wire not connecting to the duet. That was the problem I had with my Y axis - one wire not connecting = motor going wrong way.
    Alex :cry::cry::cry:

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

100% @Alex Chambers ..:thumbsup:.Just redid all the wiring to the Z axis and hey presto we're back in business..Now the machine is square as I rechecked with the gauge so i'm hoping against hope its the same (wiring problem with the Y axis)...I just homed the X axis and the Z went through its proper cycle (super quiet) and then the X homed as it should again fairly quietly....OK coffee and then out with the crimps to try and sort this Y axis before the Rugby....Did you try opening the Dragchain from the sides there is no need to be threading wires...small flat head screwdriver to the side where the little flaps join, twist and open them all up.....lay your wiring inside and snap them back shut...another thing not in the manual lol....Let you know how I get on later...thanks for all you help and guidance
    Regards
    c

Alex Chambers and Mark Carew like this.
  4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I haven't gone back over all the posts, (just too lazy :rolleyes:), but a video would really help with this noise and other problems if your soldering and re-crimping isn't the cure. :)

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I think Colin and I have got this sorted now @GrayUK thanks. There appears to be a problem with the connectors on the duet controller and the stepper motor leads supplied by Oozenest. I had a minor problem with them, @Colin Mccourt had really major problems. His machine is now running OK - noise was down to missed steps on one Y axis motor driving the gantry askew.
    Alex. :cool:

Colin Mccourt and GrayUK like this.
  6. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I should have done a video on how it was performing but to be honest I wasn't thinking in that direction preferring instead just to explain via text..Take it from me it wasn't pretty either to listen to or to watch...It was very noisy, the Y axis were at war with each other it seemed like it was out of cinque grinding.noises...I know now it was missing steps rather than being out of square...so it all came down to the motor wires in the end....So for any folks tuning in with a similar dilemma, do check the wiring....
    Regards
    C

GrayUK likes this.
  7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks @Alex Chambers, it took some sorting but we got there in the end....