Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

A bunch of newbie questions, CNCjs & GRBL & xPro v4

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Apeli, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Hi all,

just cut my first chips on my custom OX-build. A circle came out as a circle, great success!

Still, a few questions regarding the software/controller combo. I'm running CNCjs on my Mac and it's connected to a xPro v4 -controller board which has GRBL 1.1 installed by default.

The first problem is that a lot of the CNCjs buttons trigger G-code commands that GRBL has no idea about, like G28.2, G28.3 for homing & zeroing. Apparently those are TinyG-specific commands? And what the heck are the values in the GRBL widget (https://cloud.githubusercontent.com...42/5912660e-b4fb-11e6-8ff8-60b2602f5d79.png)? Is there a way to install/make CNCjs with GRBL-supported commands?

The second problem was that I can't write any GRBL commands (like $102=400) to the Console widget on the CNCjs, only G-code. Trying to type the dollar symbol just gives error messages of faulty commands. The only way I've managed to send GRBL commands has been to create a custom buttons with the GRBL commands on the Axes-widget. Works, but slightly cumbersome.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Thanks, had not bumped into that! Doesn't look as slick as CNCjs but will definitely try it out tonight.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Its less "almost working bells and whistles" in favour of "easy to understand for newbies"

Apeli and sharmstr like this.
  5. ssbxfire

ssbxfire New
    Builder

you can also look into using bCNC though I have found I would rather not get my Mac full of dust in the shop so using a Raspberry Pi 4, a 3 will work also.

6. Apeli

Apeli New
    Builder

Very pleased with the OB Control! Does exactly the things I want. Also the OB Cam -webapp was a great find. Thanks!!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

Glad you like it! :)
    Cannot wait to see all the cool Projects you are going to make with it!