Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

800w Spindle current rating

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DFRoss, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DFRoss

DFRoss New
    Builder

I'm mating a Hitachi VFD to an 800w ebay (Chinese) aircooled spindle. On arrival the spindle is rated (engraved) at 3amps. I'd have expected more with the 800w "rating", and having seen other similarly marketed spindles rated at 5 amps. At 3 amps this sounds more like 600w versus .8kw.

I've limted the VFD current to 3 amps to match the spindle, and following a series of current protection shutdowns increased to 3.7 amps without success.

The spindle spins - slowly - and in seconds the VFD faults with a current limiter error. Triple checked wiring, all good.

I've set the min spindle frequency at 120hz, defined the spindle with 2 poles, etc, and believe I've set all appropriate parameters correctly (but of course I could have messed up parameters).

I'm not anxious to increase current limiting to the five amp range if there is truly a fault, but is it possible I'm getting a current limit fault because I've set it too low (3 amps, then 3.7 amps). I do get some spindle rotation for a short bit, but it's definitely slow. Do I ignore the engraved rating on the spindle and increase current? (I'd expect the answer to be a clear no, but seeking more experienced advice).

Thanks.

2. DFRoss

DFRoss New
    Builder

Solved/closing the loop

I did have a parameter error. I (intentionally) had base frequency set to line frequency of 60hz, based on all I could glean from "always reliable" internet sites. Perhaps the definition of base frequency varies across VFD manufacturers.

I do acknowledge that many/most Huanyang parameter guides had base frequency set to 400hz, so I changed the Hitachi Base Frequency parameter to 400hz and had success.

Sharing for others who may make the same error.

I still doubt the HP rating of 1hp with a 3amp plate rating, but at least it spins up.