Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

60w CO2 Laser BlackBox wire up

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by SirCrem, Aug 7, 2019.

1. SirCrem

SirCrem New
    Builder

Hey Guys im just finishing up setting up a co2 laser and blackbox controller and have a quick question on the wiring.

On the blackbox I am using the ground pin (black wire) and pwm pin (red wire) in the toolhead pin section

On my power supply for the co2 laser ground pin goes to the ground pin from the blackbox and then also on the psu I have TH TL and IN ( which is a pwm signal input 0 - 5v )

So my question here is do i wire the pwm from the blackbow to TH or IN

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• psu.PNG
      psu.PNG
      File size:
      199.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

TH = PWM
    WP = GND
    IN = 5V (or 5v via a potentiometer = sets the current scale (set potentiometer to 50% limits power to 30w. So 0-100% on PWM will be 0-30w) (set potentiometer to 100% limits power to 60w. So 0-100% on PWM will be 0-60w) - adding this gives you some "on the fly" tuning of power, quite useful

PWM x (IN/5) = Power output :)

SirCrem likes this.
  3. SirCrem

SirCrem New
    Builder

You are the man with the plan thank you Peter!

4. SirCrem

SirCrem New
    Builder

So im going to wire the PWM (from blackbox ) to TH (LPSU) then ground (from blackbox) to ground (LPSU) which I also bridged to wp

I am also going to get a potentiometer so i can have that on the fly tuning. If i set the laser power through the blackbox and then touch the potentiometer will this interfere with the blackbox, or will it plainly just add and subtract on top of the value i set in the controller

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Correct

It will not interfere, it will supplement (Grbl sends PWM, potentiometer just modifies the scale - so if you start a photo engraving and see it burning a little dark, instead of stop, regenerate gcode, etc. Just turn the pot down a little)

Note until your pot comes, you'll want to tie IN to 5v (Laser PSU should have a 5v out you can use)