Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

4 axis cnc hotwire machine

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Morando mckenzie, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Morando mckenzie

Builder

hello, i am urgently want to build a 5 ft wide x 9 ft long x 4ft high hot wire cnc machie with a 2 ft diameter turn table in the middle. I want to use the machine to cut 8'x4'x3' foam blocks. These weigh about 60 to 80 pounds. To reduce cost i would build the frame from 1"x1"x1/4" angle iron and attach v slot extrusions to the x axis and z axis where movement will take place. Can anyone help me with the design and parts list as soon as possible because it is a machine i really want to start. I will attach a link to what i what to achieve but on a much larger and rigid scale as i stated earlier and the drive system i want use belt and wheels.
    Arduino CNC Foam Cutting Machine - HowToMechatronics

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Sounds like you need to fire up Fusion 360 pretty quick! That's thousands of dollars' worth of work you're asking for. Learning how to design and build a machine is a long process.

My only thoughts so far:

1) you're gonna struggle with a 9ft axis. V-Slot doesn't splice too incredibly well, but it might not matter for a hot wire machine. Linear rails mounted to spliced C-Beam would be my go-to, you can buy them quite long (2500-3000mm).

2) 1" angle probably isn't gonna get you very far, stiffness-wise. You should look up some engineering calculators to figure out deflection.

3) belt probably won't work for a 9ft axis. Maybe if you use a fairly large belt like 20mm or something. At that point rack and pinion would likely be the better idea (certainly easier to install).

4) I'd figure out the safety elements to an 80lb turning block well outside of the machine limits (8ft in a 4ft machine?) with a hot wire whizzing around.

5) You need to figure out how well you can tension the hot wire to keep it straight and what gauge it has to be to withstand that.

6) How are you making a 24" turntable platter?

3. Morando mckenzie

Builder

Belts won't be necessary as that would be the cutting wire axis. Belt is only needed for 5 ft axis and the 4 ft z axis

4. Morando mckenzie

Builder

All i did is a part list of how i can mount a 4 ft z axis v slot to a 5 ft x axis v slot with a good drive system